Paint or replace window

Sponsored Links
The whole window.. all parts are in as bad condition. I've got plenty time on my hands, but it would be pointless to spend hours/days on it to have it rotting from the inside out and the paint peeling in a couple of years.
I suppose the question is...can it be made good from it's current state ?

Question: Can you push a key (Yale type) into the wood work approx. 12mm?

If so then it needs replacing, if not then it needs decorating.

Andy

Sponsored Links
HERTSDRAINAGE2010 makes a good point, but even if the timber is solid, you will need to sand all of the grey weathered timber back to a sound surface before you attempt to fill and paint anything. This will also help to give you an idea as to how bad they are.

I love sash windows and would do my utmost to keep them if possible, but if they are too far gone, I would opt for renewal.

You don't say what your other windows are. Best to match up with others.

If you scrape off and sand, Sadolin white Superdec gloss may be the answer. It actually sticks to weathered wood and lasts for years. It's water based. Fill any small gaps and cracks before final coats.

What if he hasn't got a Yale key? Will an Era or Chubb do?

The wood's 130yrs old and still solid.
Are any of the high street wood hardeners like Tetrion / Cuprinol any good ?

I'm glad you can preserve rather than having to replace (apart from anything else, you'd be required to fit a double, rather than single, glazed unit if you did).

Sand back thoroughly and fill as advised - any reputable brand of two-part filler such as Ronseal is fine, if it's going to be painted. Only make a small amount up at a time, as the working time is quite short.

I've painted windows far worse than this, without a key

The key to success here Daddy Boots is, with all that time on your hands, don't leave it for another 17 years. A light sand and a coat over every now and then just on the bottom bits will serve you well.

Growler is spot on. Listen to the man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back