Paint removal from cast iron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to remove several layers of paint from cast iron pipes. Would I be in danger of causing a fracture if I used a gas burner?

Sponsored Links
20p,
Not sure about cracking the pipe - though I would have expected cast iron to cope with heat OK.
But I would be surprised if you could get the cast iron hot enough to strip the paint - it being a good conductor.

Sponsored Links
a long time ago our firm restored a listed building, we had to take down Ci gutters and strip them. It came off easy and quite quickly with a blow lamp shavehook and wire brush We didnt crack any. Dont think its possible to crack it with heat, though we went gently at it ie didnt need to get it red hot. Watch you leave it to cool for a while naturally, drenching suddenly from hot may crack it. Like cylinder head in car. It takes some time to cool :!: Stripper will work but it's messy and takes time and money.
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back