Paint straight onto plaster or lining??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
having my living room replastered this weekend im thinking, whats best look painting matt or silk straight onto fresh plaster or lining it first??

i dont really know, does paint look the same on plaster??

Just imagine a cold feeling??

ive lined the other rooms and it looks great but this room needs plastering for defo, uneven suface.

has any one used dulux taupe- think thats the spelling! colour how does it look out the can??

cheers

Sponsored Links
A 'cold feeling'?.....change the word cold for cool...makes it more attractive in the summer now doesnt it?

And when you say 'replastered' do you mean skimmed?.....if so its ok to use vinyl emulsion....if they had been hacked off and the plaster was deep then id reccomend non vinyl emulsion.

If the walls are rolled finished then you shouldnt really notice the difference between plaster and lining paper...but I know what you mean though.

I certainly wouldnt use silk....not on new plaster....nope...not ever never..

If would take a very deft hand of a plasterer and a painter to get an acceptable finsh.....silk highlights every deviation in the surface.

Go for matt...thin the first coat by about 40% the second and thrid by about 20..

If you want a really nice finish and your good with a brush....then brush the wall.....its a far nicer finish than a roller stipple.

Cant comment on the colour im affriad....dont know it, but it should bother you anyway..dont concern yourself what others think when its on.....as you as you like it...thenthats all that matters, its your house.

Slight word of warning though....taupe...or my idea of it may contain a little grey...which can make the room appear calm...and cool...equally...dull and cold....

The choice is yours really.....work out what you want out of the room.....and go by that...not neccessarily how 'nice' the colour is....

Good luck

Thanks for reply mate, its being skimmed sorry for my terminology. So vinyl emuslion, as in base coats before the final matt coat then and stay away from silk as it'll show the imperfections right...

yeah i wouldnt say im a pro, but so far ive done most bits around the house, fitted in a new kitchen, done flooring, etc lining which im very pleased with so far so im learning. i find prepping is so so much important to the quality of finish.

but shout out to you, your a great poster i must commend you.

Oh and i couldnt think i could brush not enough hours in the day with other work etc... but if i use a roller, should it be a really smooth roller. i say this because i used a stanley one which was for smooth but i found it to be thick piled and left more marks on the wall.

Thanks again

Go for a woven pile roller short pile sleeve...sorry I havnt been back to you sooner, comps been moollerd!

Sponsored Links
Personally id always line as long as you can do it well. But its just a matter of opinion really. Ima builder and where price is important we just paint onto plaster. For high spec finishes we always line first. Just refurbished an 8 bedroom town house in kensington and the architect insisted on lining. Again its matter of opinion but if you wanna quick and easy job id just paint, if you wanna good quality job id line first

Thanks Zampa i will go out and find that roller,

and harrow builder i would tend to agree aswell i lines the other rooms but the main probably most important room i'm kinda pushed for time so i'll prob have to paint straight on i think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back