paint used to prevent mold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a problem with mold in our living room and hallwall. I have posted in the general diy section about this and have been advised that certain paints used for the bathroom will help kill the mold spores and prevent the mold from comming back

Is there any particualr paint which people have used before that works well?

Thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
I own a small apartment block in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, and I use Zinsser's PermaWhite Bathroom Paint in all 21 of my bathrooms. It's a tintable white emulsion paint that comes in two glosses; satin and semi-gloss (I think).

This paint is guaranteed to be free of mildew for 5 years, but my experience with it is that if it only lasts 5 years, then you got a defective can. I really don't know how long it lasts, but if you apply 2 coats (as recommended), I'd guess at a minimum of 10 years, and probably closer to 15.

The way the paint works is that the mildewcide inside it is soluble in water, so that high humidity in a room causes the mildewcide to migrate toward the surface of the paint in a process called "leaching". (Please don't ask me to explain leaching.) Once at the surface, it kills any mildew spores that land on the paint. The higher the humidity, the more mildewcide migrates and the faster it migrates. Washing the wall will remove the mildewcide from it's surface, but it will soon be replenished by the mildewcide just under the surface.

Zampa says that this paint is available in the UK, but you just have to phone around to the paint stores and hardware stores in your area to find out who sells it.

I have had a look and they do have a UK outlet.

one more question, do you know if you can paint over this paint ie if you need a different colour in the living room and it will still work?

thanks
ian

Sponsored Links
No it wont...as Nester said its the Mildewcides in the paint that give it the qualities.

Check out the main paint companies here though before you buy the zinze...you may find they do a cheaper alternative..but dont use 'cellar paint' it will stink your house out.

Contact the trade centres...not the DIY shops...if you ask for an anto mould paint there they will sell you a bottle of bleach!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back