Painting a damp cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have tried searching for this but there are just too many irrelevant results (inc. how to get petrolium jelly out of your hair! how did that get returned from a 'cellar paint" search??). If anyone can direct me to the right place please let me know.

I am wanting to repaint my cellar. The walls currently have a thick rough white finish over the bricks. The cellar is slightly damp and I am not trying to seal the damp into the bricks. Is the best solution to paint the walls with standard emulsion? It was suggested by a friend that I use some sort of lime mix but I am not sure if it is available anymore or safe to use. Ideally what ever I paint it with would also be mould resistant.

Any assistance is gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Johnstone's Damp Proof Paint, though this paint should be applied preferably to unpainted masonary surfaces. However, if these have been previously painted, remove as much of the old paintas possible by thorough scraping and wire brushing. Treat any mould or lichen with Johnstone's Sterilisation & wash as directed. Also, Johnstone's Damp Proof Piant is specially formulated for application to damp interior wall surfaces. Can be left as a finish in its own right or as a damp proofing primer/sealer prior to over-painting with Johnstone's Anti-Mould Acrylic, or an other Johnstone's decorative finish. Incorporates a water-reactive agent which takes care of residual surface moisture, but this does not remove the need to repair and structural faults which allow water to penetrate the fabric of the wall.

Hi, Thanks for replying, my concern is that the waterproof paint will trap the moisture on the wrong side of the paint and cause the stone walls to deteriate. I can not fix the damp problem because the walls are stone and also the neighbours on both sides have tried with little luck. All I am after is a paint that will not allow mould to grow, I can accept the slightly damp nature of the room.

I understand "mntmouse" though damp paints apparently allow water to penetrate through it. For example, Thompson’s One Coat Damp Seal is a high performance interior coating which permanently covers damp stains in just one coat. It allows trapped moisture to evaporate over time to prevent paint flaking or wallpaper peeling off. Also, try this "Oldroyd 'P' Plaster Membrane (Plaster Lath)" and click here for further info http://www.safeguardeurope.com/products/oldroyd_p.php

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't recommend a damp proof paint or anything which will seal the water into the stone or brick, use something which breaths (allows water vapour to pass through) such as Limewash or a chalk based paint, I have used Earthborn Claypaint for my damp cellar and its great, it is expensive but it goes a long way.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.

@Phil 638476

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back