Painting a flush door from scratch........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've just installed a flush fire door and now I've got to think about the decoration of it. I want it to end up looking crisp and white in colour, but the last time I painted a flush door it didn't go too well and you could see the lines where I'd painted it - I'd used a small short haired roller, or maybe a gloss roller.

So, what do you recommend?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly...prime it in the direction of the grain, id use a brush..then you have the choice brush or roller.

Brush:- Rub down the primer with fine abrasive paper, again in the direction of the grain to prevent unsightly scratches going horizontally across the door...apply one coat of oil based undercoat, if its too thick then thin it down a little with white spirit (not turps substitute) lay it off upwards always in the direction of the grain.

Lightly rub it down again and apply two coats of oil based gloss using the same techniques mentioned above.

Gloss flows out better than undercoat...thus hopefully giving you a smoother finish

Flush doors can be tricky to paint with a brush even for the seasoned pro..its vitally important to 'keep te edge going' meaning not allowing one edge to go off (start drying) before you continue painting into it.

There are a few ways of doing it...heres the way I prefer...

Take off any handles and fittings first

Start at the top of the door painting a band of about 5 inches horizontally all the way across from one side to the other...then lay off upwards then paint another band below the first blending the two edges together and lay off...do this down to the bottom

I prefer this method as opposed to the one shown in many diy books of painting three squares on the top..then three beolow it etc..you may end up with two may wet edges to cope with if your a bit slow.

Make sure the room isnt too warm when your working it will send the edge of very quickly.

Roller:- More or less the same as a brush but use a 'glosser' roller sleeve you can also buy 7 inch rollers that have a hard case and a thin layer of foam on the outside.

JDLDIY said:
Hi there, I've just installed a flush fire door and now I've got to think about the decoration of it. I want it to end up looking crisp and white in colour, but the last time I painted a flush door it didn't go too well and you could see the lines where I'd painted it - I'd used a small short haired roller, or maybe a gloss roller.

So, what do you recommend?

Many thanks.

If it's a fire door aren't there regulations about the type of paint you can use?

Just a thought.

Many thanks for the replies. A couple more questions if you don't mind;

I don't think I want a shiny finish so if I'm not going to be using gloss paint can you recommend something else? Am I best advised to stick to an oil based paint rather than a water based one - I'm sure last time I painted a door I was able to clean the brushes/roller with water so presumably that would have been a water based paint.

Is it best to paint the door in situ or take it down (groans at the thought) and paint it flat? I guess I need to make sure the underneath gets a coat of paint and behind hinges etc as it is the bathroom door?

Should I use a brush or a roller for the best result?

Many thanks!!

nabuok - many thanks, I didn't know that was the case. This door happens to be a fire door but isn't actually required to be one, I just bought it as I wanted a cheap but solid flush door for painting.

Sponsored Links
You can use water based if you want...in which case maybe a water based eggshell or satinwood may do a job for you.

Bare in mind water based goes off very quickly in normal temperatures and brushing it on is hard going even for the pro decorator.

I think you may need to use a very short pile roller...but youl still need to prime, rub down etc...then give it two coats of finish paint.

Painting it in situ should be ok but make sure the room is cool

Laying it flat maybe easier to paint but you will have the problem of airbourne dust landing on it more than it would if upright.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back