Painting exterior front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

i am painting a new mahogany front door black.

I would like some advice whether to paint the doodr with gloss or use a stain?

Can someone please tell me the way to get the best finish.

Regards

George0401

Sponsored Links
Personal taste I suppose. I do like the look of a solid panel door painted deep gloss black with brass fixings.

If it's genuinely solid red tropical hardwood, it's a pity to paint it. You'll lose the beauty of the grain. you could have bought a paint-grade door for less money.

If you stain it, it will never be truly black, even if you use a black wood-dye first.

Thanks for replies.

It is for a block of flats that I am part of and the consensus was for a black door ( I agree that it would be nice to keep it plain). I went for hardwood door as I thought it would last longer than a cheaper door.

To paint do I need primer, undercoat and gloss top coat?

Thanks in advance

George

Sponsored Links
yes

If it is for outdoor use you can get microporous/breathing paints but you have to use the same brand and system for each coat.

If indoor any gloss will be OK.

You can use an dark grey undercoat under gloss black finish.

Remember to paint the top and bottom well if it is outdoor, as that's where damp gets in.

It is an advantage (if indoor) to leave it hung for a week or two before painting, to equalise, otherwise if it dries out and shrinks, the joints will retract and show an unpainted line.

Drill for all fixings (knobs, locks etc) before painting, but do not fit them until after. Mortice locks usually have a brass faceplate that you can remove for painting without having to take the lock out.

If it is exposed to rain, a weatherboard at the bottom will throw water off. Paint it separately and fix afterwards, using long screws drilled from inside the building so there are no screwheads on the outside.

If it gets any sun, the last colour I'd paint it, would be black...consensus or no consensus.

Yep, dark colours can blister when it makes contact with direct sunlight...............

Growler said:
If it gets any sun, the last colour I'd paint it, would be black...consensus or no consensus.

Agree with that ...

But if you got to use paint.. I would reccomend Dulux weathershield exterior gloss and undercoat...

Usually find entrance doors to flats etc better finished in a stain.(.they take a lot of knocks from trades/posties etc.) Such as sikkens,sadolin... easier to maintain.
'Ebony' comes up nice and black...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back