Painting kitchen units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at wheather we replace or paint our kitchen and need some help.
The doors are wooden and varnishised.

1-how much do I need to sand down? back to the bare wood or just enough to create a key
2-what sort of paint can I use? can i use normal gloss with a good primer?
should I roll or spray?
3-what about the edging around the inside of the units and on the end panels? can this be changed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Ian

Sponsored Links
Sanding or stripping off all the varnish is obviously preferable if you can spare the time, but if you use a coarse grade of sandpaper, make sure you get all the dust off, then apply a coats of a high-quality primer the you will have a good key.

If you are using gloss, get the non-ecological stuff with all kinds of nasty VOC's in it: despite killing all the dolphins it does produce a far superior finish.

Spraying generally gives a good finish, but I have never tried spraying gloss nor heard of it being sprayed. If you use a high-quality VOC gloss and apply several thin coats then brush marks vanish, so brushing is an option.

I've only ever applied edging, never tried removing it, but if it looks like the old stuff won't come off then you could use new edging over the top. The iron-on stuff won't stick very well, but contact adhesive will hold it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back