Painting Lining Paper: It's bubbled. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, can anyone help please?

Applied lining paper over plasterboard, it looked perfectly flat after pasting to wall, no bubbles.

Waited a couple of days, then painted lining paper.

Almost immediately,lots of large size bubbling on some walls, but only on one wall.

Paste possibly too thin? After a couple of days it congealed so may explain why later applied paper was ok.

Is the situation retrievable (e.g. prick bubbles, or cut with knife, paste, then paint over?

Or should I strip the panels off and start again?

Cheers,

Rick

Sponsored Links
I’m really embarrassed about this, but when I went to see the walls this morning the bubbles had almost entirely disappeared. Although mightily relieved, I still think it not enough glue, or the right strength glue, was not applied in the first place.

I wonder if when the room is heated that the paper may be more vulnerable to peeling.

Any comments would be welcome to make sure I get it right next time.

Its was probably down to a combination of things..maybe the paste was too thin..the surface wasnt prepared enough..ie it was porous, thus drawing the moisture from the paste to quick and leaving nothing to stick the paper..poor pasting technique..old paste..the paper being allowed to soak for too long..

It happens to the best of us...they will normally go back more afte rthe second coat.

Why paper plasterboard? All plasterboard should be primed (preferably oil-based) before papering. You'll have a nightmare if you try to strip it now, scraper will dig into p'board surface. Try repairing bubles by slitting them with new blade Stanley knife & brushing in paste ... wait 5 minutes before brushing flat again.

Sponsored Links
I agree there...I can never se ethe point in those fancy plasterboard sealers..they are water based and the lafarge one washes of with a damp sponge

A nice couple of thinned coat of OIL BASED primer sealer will work better IMO

... they are ok if you are just applying 2-3 coats of emulsion on top but, subsequent paperhanging should always be preceded by oil-based primer.

I thought that with new plasterboard or with any porus surface for papering that you had to size the walls with a coat of paste. For one thing it dries faster than oil base primers and it doesnt stink the house out especially if you have young kids in the house or someone who cant stand the smell of it the bigger the area the bigger the smell.....

The problem with any water based coating (like size) is that it breaks down if you saturate it (ie when stripping), so your scraper then digs in, doesnt happen with oil based paints/primers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back