painting nightmare!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I haven't been on here for a while as things were going so smoothly on the decorating my house front - I knew it wouldn't last!!. I have started decorating in my front room. I was confronted with a dado rail halfway up the wall which I have removed, below this was wallpaper (it's very friendly with the wall and is hanging on for grim death) and above the rail is paint. I have begun stripping the wallpaper only to discover that as it peels away it takes a lot of the paint that is under it off with it. This paint appears quite thick and has been put directly onto a very nicely plastered wall. It appears that no mist or undercoat has been used. The paint is slightly shiny, as I move my scraper up the now patchy wall I discover that I can even strip the paint that was above the dado. This paint has under it the same paint at the bottom wall. I am now left with patchy areas of bare plaster and paint. The paint that I have left on the walls does not come off easily. My question after this long winded explanation is : I want to paint not paper the walls, the original paint (both lots of it) was rollered on producing the orange peel effect. Do i have to persevere and get ALL the old paint off and if so what is the best way? or can I rub the edges of the patchy paint and roller my colour choice on - I usually use a paint brush as I hate rollers but as it has already been rollered, painting won't make it look any better - all advice from you wonderful people out there will be gratefully received, many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, if the remaining paint is stubborn, I would prime the areas of bare plaster with thinned emulsion 20% water - then give the primed area a full coat of emulsion to bring it forward to the rest. You then have a uniform surface to fill edges/ridges and mabye consider 1000 grade lining paper before final emulsion to achieve 'perfection'. You need to be a competent paperhanger though to avoid overlaps or gaps.

Thanks for the advice Matt, I'm no good at hanging wallpaper so I think I'll try the painting option, could you tell me the best filler to use. Thanks in advance :eek:

The best way to do it is to get a flat plastic scraper from Wilkos and then mix up some Polyfilla and use the scraper to lay a very thin layer over the missing paint. When it is dry use a sanding block (not fingers) and sand it very lightly until the whole area is perfectly flat. Then paint as you would fresh plaster.

joe

Sponsored Links
Hi Joe-90 I have some polycell fine filler (already made up stuff) and a filling knife - will that do? just to save buying more.

michaela said:
Hi Joe-90 I have some polycell fine filler (already made up stuff) and a filling knife - will that do? just to save buying more.

The filler is good but not the knife. You need something like a grout spreader that has a flat end - something that looks like a large credit card. This will let you wipe on a very thin layer and will save you sanding back too much. The scraper must be big enough to bridge the damaged area though.

joe

The same method can be used with a wide filling knife.

spice said:
The same method can be used with a wide filling knife.

Yes, sorry, for some reason I thought she meant putty knife. My mistake.

joe

Dont bother with the ready mixed fine surface filler..its like rubbing concrete down when it dries.

Stick to the powder type.

Thanks to everyone who has given advice - mix it up yourself filler it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back