painting old coving..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to paint old soft coving..After sanding down I put a coat of PVA (3:1), and then emulsion. However, after the second coat (left first overnight) there are many flaking/peeling areas. What should I do to rectify the situation?..cheers

Sponsored Links
What type of coving is it ? 1/gyproc. 2/polystirine. 3/old ornamental coving. 4/up-to-date ornamental coving i.e. 4 inch or 5 inch or 6 inch ? Also, u should have not applied Pva on an previously painted surface for over-coating with water based paint.

Sponsored Links
Third_Eye said:
What type of coving is it ? 1/gyproc. 2/polystirine. 3/old ornamental coving. 4/up-to-date ornamental coving i.e. 4 inch or 5 inch or 6 inch ? Also, u should have not applied Pva on an previously painted surface for over-coating with water based paint.
The coving is old and appears to be made of soft plaster - it is approx 30cm deep on the ceiling, and 20cm down the wall, consisting of a series of curves (concave & convex)

In preparation, all the exising paint was removed and that was why I thought 'sealing' with PVA was a good idea..

One word...

Anyone fancy a game of hangman?...D_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ R??

D_ _ _ _ _ M _ _ R??

Im sure the other dekkies will help out....

P/G...yep...too many letters..(I had to write it down to check myself though :rolleyes: )

Zampa said:
D_ _ _ _ _ M _ _ R??

Ah!

well I thought all of the 'devils coating' was removed..!

What else should I have done in preparation? (without the spelling game.. ;) )

It certainly sounds lie the 'big 'd'...or it could be fiberous plaster thats had its day...its it distemper then its ot going to be easy...id wash it down and scrub it back to the plaster of poss then give it a coat of thinned alkali resisting primer.

"ellal" you wrote, "In preparation, all the exising paint was removed and that was why I thought 'sealing' with PVA was a good idea.." However in your previous post you wrote, "After sanding down I put a coat of PVA (3:1)" Therefore IF u used the PVA mix at PVA 3/1 WATER then this mix is to thick for porous surfaces i.e. causing blistering. U should have done a PVA 1/5 WATER mix. Also, even a PVA 1/3 WATER is to thick. How did u get paint off in the first place ?

Could be a combination of the PVA and possibly the paint too thick maybe?..always a risk using PVA on distemper..its ok if its being washed off and just a bit of washing residue left but isnt a cure as such...there are a few paints out there that claim to be but Ive not used em.

The paint was removed by sanding/knife (2 bl**dy days worth..!)...

The mixture was 1 PVA to 3 water.

Between the paint and plaster was a grey/green coating which I assumed was the distemper, and which I thought I had fully removed (it wasn't everywhere - probably only made up approx 10% of the coving area) - does the distemper leave a residue in the plaster?

sORT OF...IT TAKES A LOT OF WASHING TO REMOVE ALL THE POWDER FROM THE SURFACE

OOPS...sorry caps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back