painting onto plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

this is my first post so please bare with me :)

ok, we are redecorating our hall, stairs and landing. All the walls were covered in anaglipta (no idea how you spell it) which was then painted. We have removed this and the lining paper to leave the painted plasterboard which is pretty uneven in places where the lining paper or over zealous stripping has dragged the paint covering off and in some cases left a gouge in the plasterboard. What we want to do is paint all the walls, so my questions are:

1. Is there an easy way (or specifically a product) to put a basecoat on the walls before we paint them which will also fill small holes? on this point I fairly sure I saw a product advertised on the TV by pollyfiller that does this or have I imagined it?
2. Once the holes have been filled do we then need to seal the walls with pva or a primer base coat or can we paint directly onto plasterboard?

As you can tell I'm very new to this, hence the muddled questions. I think basically I am asking how do I prepare the walls before I can paint? Any help will be gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
I am not aware of any coating you can apply prior to decoration to fill all scuffs and marks.

Basically, there are plenty of fillers available from DIY stores to make good localised damage-just follow the instructions and you will get a decent reapir if you sand them well afterwards.

If the damage is significant and widespread, you may be as well biting the bullet and getting the whole area reskimmed.

With reagrd to priming, if the board has already been painted then there is no need. Expect to need 2-3 coats of imulsion though before the patches stop showing as the paint will coat slightly different on the patch.

if you have dents and holes simply use polyfiller or a similar plaster and fill in all dents etc,use a trowell to put it on wall,allow to dry for a day then sand with orbital sander,then paint it with a sealer ,then apply two top coats of your favorite colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back