Painting over dark wood stain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
First time on here - so please be gentle!

We have recently moved into a house & am tackling the first room - have stripped the walls - and as the skirting boards, architraves and dado rail is very dark woodstain I have decided to paint out the dado - the same colour as the walls to try and brighten up a dark room.

Someone told me that I would need to use a aluminium primer/undercoat. Is that right. Can someone talk me through the whole process.

Also - have decided to go very neutral - what brand magnolia or cream would you recommend? I have a johnstones/leyland nearby & also a dulux trade.

Sponsored Links
Alminium wood primer is ok I guess...but you'l then have to give it at least three coats to blot out the dark grey colour.

I would give it a nice rub down followed by a coat of melamine primer or something similar, Dulux do one called super grip which I find is very good.

This will serve two purposes.....one, it will adhere to the wood, giving you a good base on which to start painting.........two....it will help bring the colour back to something lighter.

On the paint front.....I would go for Dulux, use their new work undercoat, it may save you having to do an extra coat.

Hi Zampa
Thanks for your reply - will take your advise & get cracking.

After I have undercoated would you reccommend satin wood or gloss for the dado?

Cheers

Persoanl choice really....for me, if the wall was painted in matt.......id go for eggshell against it, a glossy line on the dado can look quite start against matt walls.

Its the same with a silk wall....satin finish looks better IMO....

If the woodwork is old and a bit beaten then again id go for eggshell.....anything too shiny shows up the lumps and digs more.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back