Painting over filled drill holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

I'm new here and also a new first time home owner with a little DIY to do. It's a newly built house so luckily, theres only minor cosmetic work to do and I was just looking for a place to ask for advice from time to time..

I'm looking at re-painting most of the walls in the house but I'm a bit unsure of the type of paint to use.

The main problem I have is that the previous occupants saw fit to drill holes everywhere on the plasterboard cavity walls and as a result, have left me with a lot of filling to do.

I've filled in most of the holes with a coarse filler to start and then topped them off with Polycel smooth filler for small gaps. As far as I can see, I've done a decent job and smoothed them over with a fine glass paper. Sanding has however smoothed out some small areas around the newly filled holes.

I want to keep the existing finish that is on most of the walls - It's a kind a of textured finish that you seem to see on all new homes these days. I really don't know what kind of paint it is or what to look for in order to paint over and keep the same sort of finish? It's best described as 'slightly bumpy' -like an egg shell, maybe?

Anyone here know what sort of techniques and materials I should be using to make sure that the holes totally disappear when I apply fresh paint to the walls?

Thanks for reading and any responses

Cheers,

John

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Sounds like the finish is just the "pattern" a paint roller leaves.Another coat with a roller should leave the pattern behind.

Instead of sanding it smooth, apply the filler with a filling knife, then you should be able to press it flush and smooth. You can also use the knife as a scraper to level any bulge flat.

Hey, thanks for the replies :)

Would the roller be one of these textured rollers you see around in DIY shops? I also surmise a good quality, thick coating paint will be required?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
use a long pile roller it will gve you a better pattern.funny ive spent the last 30 years trying not to have any texture on the rolled wall.

You can get a little textured pad on a stick that may do the trick (the one I have is prob a inch sq) try this if you don't want to do the whole wall, it may work if you can match the paint (Ask the builders ??)

Co.

CO2000 said:
You can get a little textured pad on a stick that may do the trick (the one I have is prob a inch sq) try this if you don't want to do the whole wall, it may work if you can match the paint (Ask the builders ??)

Co.

I never thought of that :)

I do want to actually paint the whole lot of the rooms to be honest. I was really just looking for tips on how to get the pattern on the parts where the holes have been filled.

Cheers again for your responses guys - much appreciated.

I'll be back for more DIY tips soon, no doubt!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back