Painting over Kitchen and Bathroom Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any particular tick to this? Can the new paint go straight on top of the old or does it need any preparation first?

Sponsored Links
Kitchen and bathroom paint have similar properties that you find in Silk paint.

If the K/B paint has been up for a few years and you want to change it to matt for example,(same with silk) you would give the walls a good rub down for the matt to adhere too.
If you have made a booboo, and your K/B paint is fairly recent and you want to go to matt, you might have problem.

There is a trick as such and it does work :D buy some soft sheen paint, and put that on the walls, after you have done your prep of course, then you can go with matt, and you shouldnt have any comebacks.

Unless someone knows other ways........ :p

Thats a good idea 'Spike'..

I was wondering if acrylic primer undercoat would work...but thinking about it soft sheen would work out cheaper too..

Good question "ub7rm".

All above good advice. I personally have had probs with overcoating Kitchen & Bathroom Emulsion.

DO NOT PUT ANY MATT OR VINYL MATT DIRECTLY OVER IT.

Sponsored Links
Zampa said:

I was wondering if acrylic primer undercoat would work...but thinking about it soft sheen would work out cheaper too..

Cheers for that Zompa, ;)

Even oilbase undercoat works, but you would still have to get some of the sheen off, I know the soft sheen does work, as I got this tip many years ago, and I scoffed, thinking, Yeah Right, so I gave it a go, and it does the trick beautifully, since then I have done it many times, but must admit, have used the undercoat too.

Zampa wrote:

Cheers for that Zompa, icon_wink.gif

oh will you guys never let me live that down!

will the softsheen over kitchen and bathroom paint work if the k'n'b is just a couple of years old?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back