Painting Over Lining Paper - Can it cause damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house (circa 1935). All the walls, and some of the ceilings, in the house have been covered in lining paper and painted over. In many cases the original wallpaper has not even been removed. This was all done by previous occupants. The finish looks fine, however I recently had a painter in and he wanted to strip all the lining paper and old wallpaper off and replaster the walls prior to painting. Claimed the paper stopped the walls breathing and caused damp. I just got him to go with painting over the backing paper as I thought he was chancing his arm for some additional work. Was he or his there some truth to what he was saying?

Sponsored Links
yes..and hes totally wrong..

Think about it..if you paint the wall that will seal it because most paint is impervious to water.

Yep, "Zampa" is correct on his assessment.

However, dont have units right upto your walls. i.e. Your walls that are connected to the outside of your house. This can cause damp-like conditions. Especialy when non-breathble wallcoverings have been applied behind units.

Non-breathable wallcoverings can make ALREADY damp walls worse. Though on non-damp walls then they are oky to use.

Ageee... struth if it was causing damp the existing lining would be peeling off..

Sponsored Links
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've been told that by painting on lining paper, you'll be causing a lot of moisture in the air to lock in your room, hence causing humidy and problems such as fungi growing.

Please confirm if i'm wrong!

wrong.

Humidity generally escapes through ventilation, not by soaking into the wall.

When humidity does penetrate a wall (or flat roof) it will usually condense inside it (since the outside is cold) causing damp problems, and this is prevented by putting a moisture proof membrane on the room side (the warm, moist side).

If you paint it with silk or sheen you can get a little problem with condensation in a bathroom or kitchen

but then again - open the window!!

otherwise its fine, the paper is more porus than the plaster and certainly more porus than the paint

think he fancied some more work and an easier paint job!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back