Painting over varnished T&G panelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a new house where the bathroom is clad like a sauna with varnished tongue & groove boards. It's quite well done but I don't like the darkness it creates and would prefer a lighter room. I'm considering painting over it in emulsion in the hope that it will take on a seaside holiday cottage look (painted T&G walls and ceiling).

Sorry to offend any pine purists but the alternative is stripping it all out. Can anyone tell me what kind of preparation, primer, undercoat etc I would need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do not emulsion as it will fall off eventually. Also, the steam in the bathroom would penetrate the emulsion. Best thing to do is wash down wood, then rub down, then apply a coat Zamix Blockout, then apply two coats of Dulux Trade Satinwood (Oil Based) but i advize you use a colour as white eventualy turns yellow.

Thanks for your reply and advice, Third_Eye. I wondered about emulsion and humidity etc. Would an off-white such as 'apple' white eventually go yellow in your opinion? Is there no practical alternative to oil based paint? Also, I'm not sure I want the sort of sheen you get with satin finishes. Thanks again.

GezzaL said:
Thanks for your reply and advice, Third_Eye. I wondered about emulsion and humidity etc. Would an off-white such as 'apple' white eventually go yellow in your opinion? Is there no practical alternative to oil based paint? Also, I'm not sure I want the sort of sheen you get with satin finishes. Thanks again.

You can go for a flatter look like eggshell, I have used crown eggshell in the past, and is very flat, no sheen at all, and as for colour, try any decorating shops,and most DIY stores will make up a colour for you in the eggshell.

Sponsored Links
The problem here is there is varnish behind what ever coating you decide to use. This makes the miosture unable to move through wood as most varnishes are oil based. As this happens then in the longterm there is an chance that when you have a shower (a long, long, long shower) that the miosture from the shower will be too much for an water based (non-yellowing) eggshell or gloss and it will eventualy crack an peel, as it cannot pass through the oil based varnish, if u see what i mean. Though the chioce is yours, but then again it is all down to how much miosture passes through your bathroom. But if you used an oil based satinwood or eggshell then this product is more hard-wearing than the water based. Also, the miosture will be unable to break through the oil based. Yes you can use apple white and it will not yellow.

Yep...its a risky one..as thrid said you will be lucky if it doesnt chip crack flake or peel at some point

There are special primers out there (dont forget to put knotting over the knots) and these primers can give you a fair chance of success..but given the humididity factor...you may have grief

Definatly dont use emulsion..if you want a flat finish then theres flat oil or even oil based undercoat

Water based eggshell is a better option though IMO

But preparation is the key here..if you go for it make sure you really rub it down well before you prime

Thanks for all your replies everyone. Eggshell sounds good. A lot of sanding to be done (not just the walls, ceiling as well!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back