Painting over wood with wood preserver on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My ex partner made me a lovely picket fence. Unfortunately he thought it would be a good idea to cover it in wood preserver before I painted it.

This means that the pain peels never really adheres properly no matter how well I prep, prime, undercoat and paint.

I'm sick of having to re-paint every year and after spending 3 hours sanding back around a quarter of the fence again this morning, I'm desperate for a solution :(

Someone said that painting the fence with metal primer may help.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I can't remember the name but it was clear stuff in a tin.

Sponsored Links
The wood preserver might have been Cuprinol Clear. It has a distinctive smell while it dries out. It is fairly expensive. It is spirit-based (not water) and is very effective against rot and insects. Once dry (can take a week), you can paint over it, and it does not prevent paint adhering.

The usual problem with external softwood joinery is that it swells and shrinks a lot, as it is alternately drenched with rain and baked with sun. So paints are generally doomed to failure as they are not elastic enough.

The Shed and Fence water-based stains a leave a waxy film on the wood to throw off water, and can accomodate reasonable movement. They are usually brown or dull colours and are not a paint.

Short of sanding off all the paint and using a more elastic treatment it will be difficult to get a lasting finish. there are some "Ranch Paints" intended for use on fence rails that may work.

Zamix make some special "problem-solving" paints that may help, it's not something I've used.

I think it may well have been cuprinol clear. I'm glad to hear that's not the problem and I can stop cursing my ex. ;)

I suppose most old window frames and doors are made from hardwood and this is why the paint lasts longer as it doesn't shrink and expand so much?

I really don't want to get rid of the white paint and stain it as all the screws and wood filler will show and it will look messy.

I will have a look at the Zamix and ranch paints you mentioned. Can anyone tell me where I can get them from?

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back