Painting Pine Wardrobes Cream - Any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've seen some nice looking french wardrobes, but they are sooo expensive. I've been thinnking of buying some cheap roundish shaped pine ones and painting them white or cream.
How would I go about getting a good finish? I don't mind if they are a solid colour or "shabby chic" looking.

Where do I start?

Thanks all...

Sponsored Links
Tell us how the wardrobes are finished at the moment...are they definatly bare pine or do they have a coating on them?

Hi, thanks for your reply, my idea was to either buy a pair of matching pine wardrobes secondhand, or buy some cheap ones which I've seen on ebay - they are mass produced and look like they have no finish, just bare pine. They are mexican looking - do you know the type?
Thanks

Do they have big hats, bushy moustace's and gob a lot? :rolleyes:

I dont know the exact type you mean but if they are bare wood then follow this...

Dont bother rubbing the bare wood down first...the primer will cause it to 'fur' up anyway

Put two coats of knotting over the knots and any resinous areas in the wood and allow to dry.

Remove as much of the fitting on the doors as possible

Prime with acrylic wood primer

Rub down with 100 grade abrasive paper (aluminium oxide, it comes in green, yellow, dark red and white depeding on where you but it)

Undercoat with oil based undercoat

Rub down again using 120 grade abrasive paper

Then either undercoat again and gloss or give it two coats of eggshell, again rubbing down very lightly between coats.

Remember to dust off the residue after each rub down

Have fun!!

Sponsored Links
Very funny :LOL:

Thanks for all the info Zampo, your a star, I've printed off your instructions...(ms efficent).

I'm going to go for eggshell...and wait to see if I can find any decent shaped second hand ones first if not then I'll order the ones with the big moustaches...

Q: What were the 2 Mexican FireFighting Brother's names?
A: Hose A and Hose B

animal123 said:
Very funny :LOL:

Thanks for all the info Zampo, your a star, I've printed off your instructions...(ms efficent).

I'm going to go for eggshell...and wait to see if I can find any decent shaped second hand ones first if not then I'll order the ones with the big moustaches...

Q: What were the 2 Mexican FireFighting Brother's names?
A: Hose A and Hose B

:mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back