painting stained wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me how to paint over stained wood. After rubbing down the wood I began to undercoat it with white undercoat. I noticed after a few minutes that the paint was turning yellow. I don't know what sort of stain was used as I didn't do it, how can I eventually paint all this woodwork white?. Thanks in advance :p

Sponsored Links
thanks eddie, do I have to prepare the wood by wiping down with white spirit first or can I just brush the primer/sealer on. Is there a particular make that is better that others?

Just give it a light sanding, wipe with wipe spirit, and paint the primer on. As to brands, it think most are pretty much of a muchness, just don't go for a really cheap one, and avoid water based products, environmentally unfriendly I know, but water based paints just aren't as good IMHO.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: Thanks for all your help Eddie, I'll have a go this weekend.

use ALIMINIUM primer, this will seal all the stains and the wood, use 2 coats, and then prepare for painting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back