painting wallpaper - edges?

dk3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been painting a room and decided to paint over the wallpaper which has worked out fine. one problem is the edges, brush painted under the coving, above the skirting along the sides and filled in with a roller, but am left with the edges noticeable after 2 coats, is there anything i should have done differently or can do to rectify, if i keep adding coats will it look the same
ta

Sponsored Links
just the edges of the wall, ie a painted square and then finish withe the roller

When overcoating a textured wallpaper with emulsion then the cuuting in emulsion must be thinner than the rollering emulsioning.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply. basically is there more paper at the edges so I should have used a thinner paint in those areas?

It is the nature of how a brush applies paint, whhich is different from the roller. When you brush paint onto an textured surface then brush movement action causes thick edges to appear (within the texture). In other words the paint must be thinner for cutting in to allow the paint to be easily applied.

thanks, im not sure i fully understand the term cutting in, also what can i now do to rectify, and if i am doing the same again(painting on to paper, what should i do differently

thanks a million for all replys, will painting a final coat but using a brush and not including the edges match it up

Mmmmmmmmmmm ! I would not recomend this, but with the situation you find yourself in, then buy brushing the texture paper (to blend in with cutting in) it would blend it in, but it will not look great.

just for reference for anybody else, i ended up giving a 3rd coat with the roller but didnt roll over the edges that were cut in and to my relief it has worked a treat.

Thats great "dk3", but do remember if a Pro Dec done this in someones home then they would be asked to leave. But it is great it worked for you, nice one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back