paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have a question for the painting experts.What is the best paint to use for undercoats and gloss, dulux,crown,b&q etc.Someone told me johnsons or giddens, l've never heard of these.Are they good, if so where can l buy them as l have not seen them in b&q or homebase.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion the best oil based undercoat and gloss is Dulux Trade (DULUX TRADE NOT DULUX I.E MAKE SURE THE TIN SAYS "DULUX TRADE") But there aggshell has poor covering power.

I always use dulux, but used gliddens undercoat the other week and was impressed by its quality as had never used it before, I think cause they are part of ICI might have something to do with it lol, but i would definately use it again.

Having used most brands over the years, I use nothing other than Dulux or Crown paints when decorating now. DIY sheds' paints tend to fade much more quickly (and they don't cover as well) than these, meaning that you will be repainting sooner and, therefore, the overall cost will be higher.

Sponsored Links
Johnstones paint is ok..but I find the undercoat a bit pudding like..the gloss is ok but tends to have quite a smell to it

Glidden is an ICI brand from America..allthough I dont think it was as popular as Dulux like to think.

When it first came out it was a disaster..and they had to re badge a lot of the products...the undercoat an gloss are at best...average...the emulsion isnt bad at all and a fair bit cheaper than Dulux..like Dulux it has a 'dry' feel about it when your applying it.

As third eye said..use trade paint if you can its worth the extra...but for gods sake dont buy it in a builders merchants like sharp and fisher etc...last time I looked they wanted 50 sheets for five litres of oil based eggshell and 30 for the undercaot and gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back