Panic over!

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Harry Bloomfield, 22 Sep 2021.

1. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I decided I ought to check/top up the inhibiter in my open vented system last week, so ordered some F1 via ebay. Delivery wasn't due until next Friday, so I thought Saturday would be a perfect day to do it, with SWMBO on hand to assist. No such luck, it turned up this morning, SWMBO left for work at 11:30, so I thought no problem, I would manage the simple job on my own. Stop tap off, drain a couple of mop bucketfuls out of the system via a handy drain cock close to the back door, pour the inhibitor in and back on. With no earache if anything went slightly not to plan.

Lucky she wasn't in, it went very badly wrong. Ecofit Pure, simply would not respond to the VRC 470f remote unit. 470 sometimes flashing up a heat source (boiler) problem. Boiler frequently showing F73, or F83. I bled the system, rebled it and rebled it again. Heat was getting up to the 3-port when the boiler rebooted and ran for it initialisation test run, each time I reset the boiler. When it didn't go to fault, wacking the 470 upto 30C, the boiler did absolutely nothing, it just sat there grinning at me. I tried several times taking the batteries out of the 470 and back in. It was showing contact with boiler, VR21, and outdoor sensor. Checked the pump was definatly running.

I have been at it almost solidly all afternoon and was beginning to panic - SWMBO is due home from work shortly after 6. I was even beginning to think that maybe something was blocking the flow to the boiler.

I gave it one last shot - in the past few minutes, before doing a full drain down, of bleeding the entire system again, the boiler gave a tremendous gurgle and fired up and kept going.

The water is perfectly clear, I have drained much more out before just to fit a new F&E and a 3-port, refilled and away it went. This time it must have somehow air-locked with the two bucket fulls I drained out - Panic Over!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There’s definitely a smug feeling of satisfaction when things finally sort themselves out just before swmbo finds out you’ve ****ed up trying to do good! :mrgreen:

• Like Like x 4
  4. kidgreen61

kidgreen61

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wouldn't it have been much easier to siphon water out of a heated towel rail and replace with inhibitor?
    Some people make such hard work for themselves.

5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, it would have been impossible - we don't have a heated towel rail :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a Magnaclean, and when I open it annually to clean I take a water sample for a bright wire nail test, and top up inhibitor if needed. Also the inhibitor goes straight into the system, no concern about some being held up in the F/E tank.

7. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is the same test I did over a week ago, but instead I used pair of large bright steel washers, washed first, each put in glass jars, one with tap water, the other in a sample from my Magnaclean. The tap water one went very rusty, the other had just a bit of rust on it with the water just a little discoloured (probably due to being open to atmosphere - so I decided it needed topping up with F1.

Yes, it might have been better to introduce it via a radiator had I given it a bit more thought (and it would not have taken the entire afternoon :)

8. sbgasman

sbgasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Didn’t you think to dose via your magnaclean , like everyone else does?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why did you not just use the magnaclean to add the inhibitor ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quite, I assumed he didn't have one till seeing his reply. Dead easy using the Magnaclean and kills 2 birds.

12. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, not the Magnaclean, another common filter, but it has no facility for dosing.

13. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    OR just ADD 1l of jungle juice to the header cistern

14. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    post a pic of the filter that you have please

15. wannocks

wannocks

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Two things to note.
    Use the P0 purge program if you have drained any water. This will pulse the pump on and off without firing the boiler to help clear air locks.
    If you overheat this boiler it will go into protection mode and will not fire for 30 mins. This cannot be reset.

16. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No need, it's an Omega TF1, but it lacks any isolation valves. Space was too tight to get the valves in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Handy to remember for next time, but all working fine now.