Papering on top of backing paper - OK ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit numptyish i'm afraid but i've never done this before. I've stripped off the vinyl paper in the kitchen and it peeled away from the backing paper beautifully. just a few bubbles in it.

So, can I just paper right on top of that or do I need to take it down to the plaster? I plan to put on anaglypta/blown vinyl and then paint on top. If it's ok, are there any things/tips I need to take account of. Do i cut paste down the bubbles ? Any prep to the paper?

Thanks for any advice

John

Sponsored Links
Strip it all off John...The paper left on your wall is only a backing from the vinyl paper you took off.. not designed to be used as a lining paper.. as soon as this gets wet it will start to give you problems....soak it with plenty of hot water with a squirt of washing up liquid in it...easy applied with a roller sleeve.. (one of Zampas top tips)..and it will easy scrape off....Preperation obviously depends on the condition of your existing walls....i.e..fill in any gauges/cracks etc with multi purpose filler..best not use fine purpose filler (a bugger to sand down) give walls a bit of a rub down, brush of dust and away you go. With the type of wallpaper you are using you shouldnt need to line it unless they are realy bad as the paper is designed to cover imperfections. Good luck. :LOL:

Thanks a lot - that takes care of Saturday then javascript:emoticon(':D')

John

I agree with PG also :D you say there is some bubbles in it already, well imagine what would happen if you paper on top of it, especially if your going to put vinyl paper back up.

Your bubbles will go back , but could take a couple of days, and then the chances are you would have some bubbles that dont go back at all, strip it off, backing paper dont take ten mins if you soak it well enough, it will come off in big strips.

Sponsored Links
And me...complete waste of time and money to paper over the top of the backing paper..it might work it might not, are you a gambling man?..are you happy to wager the cost of your wallpaper?..cos thats what the stakes are...all the money you have spent on the paper plus the time it takes to strip it off ad do it again

Go for the complete strip

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back