papering over vinyl wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible? I'd like to decorate the whole living room with the minimal fuss and mess as possible. All the walls have vinyl paper on them. I was going to just paper over them with lining paper and paint it, but I've been told it's not possible. Has anyone tried? Any horror stories, or has it been fine? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Dont do it pamela, lt wont stick to the vinyl paper.

You have a few options...

1) strip it all off :D

2), just strip off the vinyl but leave the backing paper on, then you would have sand it down, as it will be quite furry, and I daresay there will be some filling involved.

3)And I expect I will be shot down in flames for suggesting this, :oops: but here goes.......

Leave the vinyl paper on, give it a light rub down, apply diluted PVA all over the wall paper, it will bubble up, but will go back.
The when dry, just emulsion the walls in your colour.

Personally, I would get it off, but its easy for me to say, as I love stripping, and any excuse to strip wallpaper I am there. :LOL:

Oh please come and strip for me! I hate it. Totally.

Thanks ever so much for that. When you say 'diluted PVA', is this something I can get from a DIY store? (you can guess which option I'm going for!)

At the end of the day, if it doesn't work, I'll only end up stripping it all off anyway, along with tearing my hair out, so this way I may be able to cut out the middle bit. Or I end up bald.

Thanks again.

Pam

I would love too, but as much as I enjoy stripping, machester is just a tad too far lol.

Go to any DIY store, the wickes one is not too bad.

I have done this a few times, not my choice of course, but what the client wants the client gets ;) and never have had any trouble.

Dont use the PVA neat though, pour some into a container/bucket, and add some water, so its like runny thick cream, and just paint or roll on, and leave it till the next day.

Dont worry about it bubbling, as sometimes bubbles in vinyl paper can take a day or two to go back.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your advice. I'll have a go and see what happens. If you are a decorator, could I ask another question? A friend had her house decorated and had the interior doors painted with a dark, non-glossy varnish (or stain) which almost exactly matches the colour of dark-wood effect UPVC window frames, but she doesn't know what her decorator used. I want to use the same stuff on my doors and bannister. Would you know the best stuff to get?

Thanks again. I'm really quite enthusiastic now I know I don't have to strip!

Pam

but as much as I enjoy stripping

OOoooer Mrs! :eek:

You can actually just use vinyl silk it sticks really well

I would certainly never risk leaving the the backing paper on and doing anything on it...I have just given my trainees an exercise in that and they saw how bad it bubbled, in some areas it look like Billy Smarts circus had come to town

Try a test area first and see if it works.

Pame1a said:
Thanks again for your advice. I'll have a go and see what happens. If you are a decorator, could I ask another question? A friend had her house decorated and had the interior doors painted with a dark, non-glossy varnish (or stain) which almost exactly matches the colour of dark-wood effect UPVC window frames, but she doesn't know what her decorator used. I want to use the same stuff on my doors and bannister. Would you know the best stuff to get?

Thanks again. I'm really quite enthusiastic now I know I don't have to strip!

Pam

Most stains/varnish all in one have a slight sheen to them, so it could have been they used that, then went over it with a clear matt or satin varnish, or if the wood had been bare, they might have used a wood dye first, then a matt or satin coloured varnish.
Cant she ring the decorator up and ask what he used?

Are your doors already stained, and you just want freshen them up?

Zampa said:
but as much as I enjoy stripping

OOoooer Mrs! :eek:

You can actually just use vinyl silk it sticks really well

I would certainly never risk leaving the the backing paper on and doing anything on it...I have just given my trainees an exercise in that and they saw how bad it bubbled, in some areas it look like Billy Smarts circus had come to town

Try a test area first and see if it works.

I know Zampa, I am mad to enjoy stripping, its great excersise too. ;)

A client of mine had already stripped the top paper off and left the backing paper on, and asked me to paint over it.
When I saw it, I couldnt believe it, they had taken chunks of the backing paper off with the vinyl, every length had been over butted, and was as furry as hell.
I refused to it, I said Its best to take it off and line it. :rolleyes:

OK - I've bought some PVC so I can try a small area and see how it goes. Zampa - Did you mean that I could paint straight on the vinyl wallpaper with a vinyl silk paint?

Regarding the varish, it just looks like a thick brown paint - but it's not paint. It doesn't look like it's been painted over with a clear finish (and she doesn't remember him doing that) but I'm going to ask her to find out for me. I'll be getting new doors so they'll not have any finish on them.

Thanks to you both!

Pam

Pame1a said:
OK - I've bought some PVC so I can try a small area and see how it goes. Zampa - Did you mean that I could paint straight on the vinyl wallpaper with a vinyl silk paint?

Regarding the varish, it just looks like a thick brown paint - but it's not paint. It doesn't look like it's been painted over with a clear finish (and she doesn't remember him doing that) but I'm going to ask her to find out for me. I'll be getting new doors so they'll not have any finish on them.

Thanks to you both!

Pam

Yeppers

Thanks for the thought of offering. I've actually done a test wall with pure whilte paint now and it's covered the paper fine. I'm going to give it another coat and then go over it with the colour next week. I'm very glad I haven't had to strip the room!

Pam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back