parking in front of peoples houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to pals today and parked outside of house two doors up from their house. Woman came and knocked on pals door and told her to tell their visitor to move their car as her husband would be home in ten minutes and it was his parking spot. This is an ordinary terrace with no parking permits. Ok... so its good to be able to park outside your own house but this was pushing it I thought. My pal asked me to move my car to avoid any trouble with the neighbours. My pal also asked me not to turn my car round in the road that went up the side of the twiny womans house as she didnt like people using it as a place to turn round in!
Not a big deal on the scale of things but there are some little Hitlers about. Boring I know but felt like venting...
I know that parking is an issue when you cant find a space........ my last home was a terrace near a shop where parking spaces were gold dust ...but to knock on my pals door and tell her to make me move my car was bang out of order.

Sponsored Links
you pay road tax dont you? park whereever you want (providing its parked legally) if you were blocking someones drive then fair enough complaining. at my dads i usually end up parkin half way up the street or even in the next street

If your car is taxed you can park it at any one's parking space they don't own the road, unless they have disabled markings in front of there house, on the road.
It's just the case of you don't live here so pi#s off. :)

Sponsored Links
yes, I can see how this woman was fed up with me parking there and her hubby maybe having to park a street away rather than outside his own house. I know (been there with t-shirt) how annoying it is.
It didnt give her right to dictate ( there were no markings on road) but my pals have to live there and didnt want the aggro of upsetting her. Its annoying because there is no easy answer to this. If i park there in future and refuse to move, then my pal gets it. People like this are awful..

toffee wrote:
Its annoying because there is no easy answer to this. If i park there in future and refuse to move, then my pal gets it. People like this are awful..

There is an easy answer..if these people don't like you parking outside there house then they need to buy a better house with a drive/garage..simple.

The worst ones are the ones that put up a sign saying no parking...I park there on purpose even if there is a space empty close by..if they dare say anything to me they usually wish that they hadn't :evil:

I live on a main road and have a car and a van so i am in the same boat, but when i get home if i find that someone is parked outside my house then thats just tough ****.

little hitlers the lot of em :LOL:

Ithink you did the right thing considering all the car theives around , he,s been to work all day and all he wants to do is park outside is own house
and go in the house and crash out knowing is car is a bit saver out side is house. dont forget you would only be there a couple of hours

scatmanjohn said:
There is an easy answer..if these people don't like you parking outside there house then they need to buy a better house with a drive/garage..simple.

Exactly!!! This is why driveways and allocated spots are selling points: they are desirable features for car-owners. You can't go laying claim to parts of the Queen's highway simply because you want to park outside your front door.

If they have the space in their garden, they might be able to get permission for a driveway or garage. And seriously, how are YOU meant to read THEIR minds and know that's where such-and-such likes to park? :mad:

Sounds like the woman is very petty and must get very annoyed at everything in life... sounds like my neighbour who has unrealistic expectations of noise levels... no, not 4am drum-and-bass sessions, I'm talking about shouting and swearing at my bewildered carpet fitters at 11am on a weekday morning for hammering gripper rods. :rolleyes: She gets a hernia over every noise and parking-related issue, silly cow will probably die of a heart attack.

B.O.B DOLE said:
Ithink you did the right thing considering all the car theives around ,

Instead toffee's car gets broken into?! :confused:

And is a car really any safer parked right outside? Mine got rear-ended in a hit-and-run at 1pm whilst it was parked 5 feet from my front door, with me sat inside watching TV.

This made me think back a few years. At the time I was visiting my parents and my late Dad had some friends visiting. One of them had parked his car outside the next door neighbours house but not blocking her driveway.

Ten minutes later there was a banging on the door and the old hag stood there looking as evil as ever. She yelled at my Mum to tell whoever had parked their car outside her place to shift it now!

At that point, Dad's friend went out and asked hag what the problem was. She replied that he'd parked in front of her house and had no business doing so. He had to move it now or she would call the police!

At this point Dad's mate showed her his warrant card and said 'Madam, there is no need, I am the police. DCI ********* (his name) from ******* station. Now, as far as I can see, I am not committing a crime. My car is taxed and insured and parked quite legally on the Queen's highway. I would suggest you kindly go home or I shall have to arrest you for disturbing the peace'

We were all standing there creasing with laughter and hag stormed off home - she never ever spoke to any of us after that hahahahaha

AdamW said:
And is a car really any safer parked right outside? Mine got rear-ended in a hit-and-run at 1pm whilst it was parked 5 feet from my front door, with me sat inside watching TV.

One of my neighbours cars got battered by a lorry early one morning! Let me explain . . . The main road near our street has 2 left turns in close succession. The first leads down the road at top of our street, but is a minor left turn. The second left turn is the one that most people want. However, there is a left turn lane a quarter of a mile long, that leads to the first left turn, but doesn't carry on to the second left. Consequently, many people make the mistake of going down the first left, and turn around on OUR street, the FIRST LEFT after the main road!

This is obviously what this lorry had done, he drove down our street, to the bottom, expecting to turn around i expect (T junction), and found that the corner was too tight for the lorry to take either way. So, he reversed up the street (200m long). He was struggling to keep it in a straight line for whatever reason, and it ended up with my neighbour's Rover 400 embedded in it. Horrible noise (only slow speeds though). Police got involved etc, i took the lorry's number and gave it to them. He did have the courtesy to go and knock, but this particular neighbour, i know to be a deep sleeper (he knows my parents well), and it was 7am. So he drove off, after freeing his juggernaut from my neighbour's car.

Shockingly, this neighbour still parks on the road, even though he lives by himself most of the time and has off street parking for about 6 cars.

We do get some complete gits driving on our road, especially in winter, when some morons decided to drive on the ice sideways, completely out of control "ooh look at what a good driver i am, im not crashing cos there happens to be no cars parked! yahoo!" etc.

crafty1289 said:
We do get some complete gits driving on our road, especially in winter, when some morons decided to drive on the ice sideways, completely out of control "ooh look at what a good driver i am, im not crashing cos there happens to be no cars parked! yahoo!" etc.

Having once paid £700 to have my car repaired after mounting a kerb sideways on an icy road at just 4mph, needless to say anyone who deliberately gets their car sideways on an icy road repeatedly is bound to come off a few pounds lighter :LOL:

Of course, that doesn't stop me from occasionally stabbing at the throttle when driving on straight, clear ice-covered roads. :rolleyes: Did it just 2 weeks ago in fact.

An old hag in our town (why is it always women?) complained to the council about people parking in front of her house so she couldn't park there. Said it meant fire engines couldn't get through.

Council painted double yellow lines over all the street so she lost her place permanently. She got on well with the neighbours after that.

kendor said:
Stoday said:
An old hag in our town (why is it always women?)
Perhaps as the term doesn't suit men? ;)

Yep, us women refer to the grumpy old men as g i t s !!!!

It's not just women either. Our snobby next door neighbour in our last house once told my hubby to move his 6 year old estate car from in front of our house as he was having posh visitors and he wanted them to think we all drove Mercs like him! Wouldn't have been so bad but his Merc was a clapped out old thing and his wife drove an ancient old Citroen. We just didn't fit the bill as next door neighbours for them as they thought they were 'posh' & we actually work for a living!

Sponsored Links
Back