Part P & Exterior Christmas Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't it nice to see everyone decorating the exterior of their houses with christmas lights every december, :D
Ranging from simple lighting around the front door or windows,
To whole house & garden installations, Looking like santa's grotto :cool:
Most of this "exterior" lighting is operating on 240v, Probably through RCDs? (Probably Not)
I was just wondering how "Part P" is going to affect these installations when next christmas arrives?
Is Mr LBC or Mr NIC going to be very busy next december, Or are we going to have a darker christmas?
And does Part P Cover "Tempory" installations? I think it does,

Sponsored Links
Paul:
..so you're saying you can't plug in a lawnmower anymore?

Lawnmowers? Who mentioned lawnmowers, And what have they got to do with exterior decorative lighting :confused:

paulh53 said:
Isn't it nice to see everyone decorating the exterior of their houses with christmas lights every december, :D
Ranging from simple lighting around the front door or windows,
To whole house & garden installations, Looking like santa's grotto :cool:
Most of this "exterior" lighting is operating on 240v, Probably through RCDs? (Probably Not)
I was just wondering how "Part P" is going to affect these installations when next christmas arrives?
Is Mr LBC or Mr NIC going to be very busy next december, Or are we going to have a darker christmas?

if the lights are connected direct to the wiring, then yes they will come under part P. id plugged in, then they wont, since there not part of the wiring. thats how i see it anyway

Sponsored Links
That's how I would read it as well. If they're just strung up and plugged into a suitable outlet, they're not part of the permanent wiring of the house and are not, therefore, covered by part P.

Not that anything could be done in practical terms anyway even if they were included. By the time building control could get around to issuing a notice the lights would all be down until next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back