Part P / General question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have a general question regarding part p etc.

1) According to a few sites i read ( one been http://www.partp.co.uk/consumer/consumer_diy.asp ) it lists the work that anyone can do. It does not state this, but does it include a full rewire of house ? If householder who knows electrics but isnt qualified how much of the work can he do himself ?

2) I see alot about part p competant person scheme, is this say for someone who isnt a electrician but "might" be required to do odd electrical jobs for people ( i.e. replace sockets, adding sockets adding a security light etc ) again how much work can such a person legally do ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1, your aunty doreen can rewire a house of her own accord if she so likes but she would then have to pay a fee to LABC to come out and inspect and test the work for it all to be above board.

2, competent persons schemes are for electricians who want to work and be able to self certify it without getting building control or anyone else involved.

have a good look on the net for part p stuff, its all explained and theres loads about.

Hi many thanks for the reply, do you or anyone else have an idea of apx how much it will cost to get the local council to check it then ( house is owned not rented ) is it a fixed fee or does it depend on the area ? Say for example we are taking a rewire of a house where all the old system has been taken out and new fitted, i know a few sparkys wont do it with out doing the work themselves.

Any idea on the 2nd question, i did have a look but cant for the life of me think of where i last read about it, did look at part p maybe i missed it.

Sponsored Links
systemtek said:
do you or anyone else have an idea of apx how much it will cost to get the local council to check it then

I have the perfect answer

ring you concil and ask

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back