part p the final word?

B

breezer

some on here moan and whinge about people who mention part p. yes it does become annoying, but untill joe public gets used to it, it will have to be mentioned, but look at it this way.

You have something done in your house that is part p notifiable, you have no part p certificate for it, fine your problem.

you sell the house, surveyors report suggests new wiring has taken place

new buyer asks certificate for work you had done,you dont have one, oh dear, no sale / reduced price for getting work checked

so although part p is not very popular / not known about much now, when you sell your house say even in 5 years time it will be, so a little money spent now will save you a lot of grief and money then

Sponsored Links
What I resent is the assumption that we are all subject to part P and therefore treated as criminals for doing wiring work. At the moment this section of the building regs does not apply in Scotland so I will continue to supplement my appliance repair business with small domestic wiring jobs. If part P does arrive here I will stop doing this work rather than pay a few thousand a year to add a few extra letters after my name.

fido said:
rather than pay a few thousand a year to add a few extra letters after my name.

Why don't people check the facts before objecting? If you are actually doing the work correctly in the first place registration is not a huge expense. Or are you,like so many others I hear at wholesalers counters, simply afraid of being tested and found wanting?

By the way, you don't get any letters after your name. :D

fido said:
At the moment this section of the building regs does not apply in Scotland.
Have you not seen what's coming regarding Building Warrants?

It seems that they've decided to fix the problem of Part P not working by making the Scottish requirements even more ridiculous..

Sponsored Links
Considering that a surveyor can't be arsed to lift a carpet - who will be any the wiser?

joe

Someone wants to offer a reduced price for getting work checked, simply because some paperwork is lost, or non-existent, or something? Not paying for their survey, they can go buy an inferior place somewhere else; their loss. If no one has the savvy to buy what I'm selling, I'll leave it to family in my will.

Gary0 said:
Someone wants to offer a reduced price for getting work checked, simply because some paperwork is lost, or non-existent, or something? Not paying for their survey, they can go buy an inferior place somewhere else; their loss. If no one has the savvy to buy what I'm selling, I'll leave it to family in my will.

At last someone talking sense !!!

The last house I sold the buyer wanted wiring certificates, window garuntees, wood treatment certificates, gas instalation certificates. Guess what he got??? Nothing because I didn't have any. They still bought the house and at the price I wanted.

Vice-versa I bought my house without wiring certificates and it had lead sheaved wiring, theres no way I was going to back out of the sale because it hadn't been tested. I knew what I was buying and the extent of the work required. Yes the wonderfull surveyer didn't lift carprts or even go in the loft let alone look at wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back