Part P

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Part P Wizard

I am writing a dissertation on Part P.

I have also been reading about Part P since June last year so if you need to ask any questions on Part P please feel free to ask.

My concern is whether Part P will kill off DIY enthusiasts?

Will Part P achieve the Govenment's aim to reduce the amount of deaths and injuries from incompetently and negligently installed Electrical systems.

I am writing just about everything on Part P there is to know so let me know your thoughts on Part P.

Sponsored Links
In Scotland we have had electrical building regulations for 25+ years. Here they are called "part n" I think.
It hasn't stopped DIY electrical work at all.

I think the only time that it will have a serious effect is if and when these seller's packs for properties come into force. Or if human nature suddenly changes.

Use the forum to do a search

Theres enough material here to copy and paste a complete dissertation

After you have read all there is on here, try the screwfix forum as well

Theres plenty of material to get your teeth into

I think most people here have discussed this until they are sick of the subject

Don't expect many replies at this late stage in the game

Part P Wizard said:
I am writing a dissertation on Part P.
For whom?

I have also been reading about Part P since June last year so if you need to ask any questions on Part P please feel free to ask.
What do you think of it?

My concern is whether Part P will kill off DIY enthusiasts?
Mine too.

Will Part P achieve the Govenment's aim to reduce the amount of deaths and injuries from incompetently and negligently installed Electrical systems.
No - for 2 reasons

1) There are so few deaths anyway, that the expected "reduction" is in the statistically-insignficant zone, i.e. the random variations in the total number exceed the predicted reduction.

2) Part P is unworkable anyway.

I am writing just about everything on Part P there is to know so let me know your thoughts on Part P.
I'm generally not in favour.

Sponsored Links
I am not just going to cut and paste information it is plagiarism.

Also do you know Part P has been revised which now covers Conservatories, Porches, Small detached Buildings, Car Ports.

I have done questionnaires for Building Control and Electricians.

I am doing a critical analysis of Part P is one of my chapters. Also delaing with cost implications, legislative impact, and the impact on DIY.

Ive got everything there is to know on Part P. :D

Part P Wizard said:
I am not just going to cut and paste information it is plagiarism.

Also do you know Part P has been revised which now covers Conservatories, Porches, Small detached Buildings, Car Ports.

I have done questionnaires for Building Control and Electricians.

I am doing a critical analysis of Part P is one of my chapters. Also delaing with cost implications, legislative impact, and the impact on DIY.

Ive got everything there is to know on Part P. :D

so why ask here then

part p is about as unworkable as gwn and thats a non starter :LOL:

The Public are not much aware of Part P which is the Downfall.

You still haven't answered BAS's question: -

For whom are you writing this dissertation?

I may well add a further one: -

Why are you writing this?

Hows come you are from Afghanistan

do they have Building Regs

1: part P is pretty much unenforceable against diyers (mind you so are many building regs)

2: even if it was enforced against diyers it would just encourage the use of extention leads

i wrote a long post on part P over at http://tinyurl.com/6a2yz which i repeat here (guys were suggesting that they should ban sale of electrical goods to the general public which doesn't tend to work either).

people DO NOT need the proper parts to do dangerous wiring.

asside from that if you want power in a location where it is not currently availible you have 3 options (in no particular order)

1: extention leads
2: diy wiring
3: calling an electrician

option 3 is usually safe (provided you don't get a cowboy) but is also expensive and will likely get more so with the coming of part P so for some people this is simply NOT a viable option.

option 1 is hard to mess up but the finished result is prone to getting damaged and becoming dangerous especially if it stays in use for a long time. it is also generally considered untidy.

option 2 depends largely on the skill of the individual diyer.

Some (like BAS) will take the time to properly understand the regs.

Some will follow diy books that give methods cookery book style which if followed to the letter are generally safe.

some will do work with varying degrees of dodgyness ranging from slight technical noncompilance (ie lack of red sleeving on loop in lighting) through faults that could cause danger in a few fairly outlandish situations such as cables one size undersize or more than one scoket on a spur or broken rings through to really dodgy stuff like sockets wired in bellwire or 2.5mm T&E for meter tails or using a plastic jacobs buiscuit tin in place of a CU.

fact is there are some people who will get power where they want it in the amounts they want it in without knowing and/or caring if the way they do it is a fire risk. this applies whether it is fixed wiring or extention leads (bypassing plug fuses really isn't difficult you know)

even if we regulate the sale of electrical goods there is NOTHING to stop someone just wiring an extention lead into the back of a socket because it looks neater or they are already using both the sockets.

Part P Wizard said:
Hows come you are from Afghanistan

do they have Building Regs

only politicians answer a question with a question, please answer the questions, and yes i too am fed up with part P

Because it is very topical and alot to research about plus Head of Building Regs in London will get a copy of this dissertation.

I am getting hundreds of thoughts on Part P.

I am an expert on Part p trust me I have all the info from BS7671 iee Regs to Part P.

I work for an Electrical Contractor as well

Part P Wizard wrote:
I am an expert on Part p trust me I have all the info from BS7671 iee Regs to Part P.

Ooh! Let me touch the hem of your garment!

Part P Wizard wrote:
I work for an Electrical Contractor as well

Gosh! I can see now why you are an expert on Part P.

I see that you also have a copy of BS7671 and the full text of Part P so let me stand back in awe as I kneel before someone who has read TWO documents. Sadly I haven't finished colouring mine in yet.

Acknowledgement due to BAS for original quote.

So Part P is a joke then!

Telephone the Head of Building Regulations at the OPDM

Hooray! He's finally got it!

As for calling the ODPM's staff, take a look at the letters page in December's "Professional Electrican" magazine.

There's a nice reply printed in full from the ODPM's staff to a spark that posed serious questions about Part P. You can guess that the civil servant's reply failed to answer any of the genuine issues raised by the spark.

It's all jam tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back