Part Pee Workaround?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suppose I did the following:

Bury a plastic pipe in the garden, running from the garage, say around 3m in length.
Run 3 core flex inside the pipe with a IP rated socket fitted at the garden end and a 13A plug top in the garage.
Plug the flex into an existing socket in the garage when I want to use the outdoor socket.

.... would that be classed as the 'provision of new fixed cabling' and/or 'adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit' in a special location.

Or would it just be a temporary extension lead (ok, so in a pipe), the same as I use when mowing the grass?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

Sponsored Links
chrisall said:
Bury a plastic pipe in the garden
You want the plumbing area.
chrisall said:
Run 3 core flex inside the pipe
How are you mechanically protecting this?
chrisall said:
with a IP rated socket fitted at the garden end
What's this going to be used for?
chrisall said:
Plug the flex into an existing socket in the garage when I want to use the outdoor socket.
I've had enough. Its a bodge and would never meet any regs. And the cable isn't protected by running inside plastic pipe. You either need earthed metal conduit or SWA cable. Both need terminating properly and fixing to something, rendering it part p notifiable.

Bury a plastic pipe in the garden
- You want the plumbing area.

No, I don't

chrisall wrote:
Run 3 core flex inside the pipe
- How are you mechanically protecting this?

The pipe !!!

chrisall wrote:
with a IP rated socket fitted at the garden end
- What's this going to be used for?

What is any outside socket used for? Mowing the grass, etc.

chrisall wrote:

- I've had enough. Its a bodge and would never meet any regs. And the cable isn't protected by running inside plastic pipe. You either need earthed metal conduit or SWA cable. Both need terminating properly and fixing to something, rendering it part p notifiable.

It's better than running the extension lead across the lawn, which is what most people do.
Part P is a load of bo**ocks, the 'bodge' is for *MY* own personal use, in *MY* garden and will be removed if and when I ever sell the house.

chrisall said:
Part P is a load of bo**ocks, the 'bodge' is for *MY* own personal use, in *MY* garden and will be removed if and when I ever sell the house.

You're basically balancing the arguments of being "legal" and being "safe". Of course, you could do both, but you seem to want to find a way of doing "legal" for free.

If you really think part P is testicles, then why not ignore it, but do a proper, safe installation.

BTW, a plastic pipe does not count as mechanical protection.

Sponsored Links
If I hadnt been on this forum I dont think I would know about part P, I would just do, 'what I think is safe'.
I used to do things as favours for friends etc, I wouldnt do them now.

slippyr4 said:
chrisall said:
Part P is a load of bo**ocks,

If that is how you feel, why bother asking us what we think of your
ridiculous ideas?

Oh and BTW, the rules for temporary installations are more strict than permanent ones...

I think you are all missing the point.

Which is safer? - to run an extension reel over the lawn when I want to mow the grass, or protect the cable in a plastic pipe and use an IP rated socket? Yes, plastic pipe is not 'proper' protection, but if I know that it's there I'm not going to stick the garden spade through it am I? (and the cable wouldn't be plugged in when not in use anyway). The problem with this part P bo**ocks is that everyone is caught up in the legalities of it and common sense has gone out of the window.

Chrisall.

OK so you like playing russian roullette but here's one bit of advice you should take

FIT AN RCD!!!!

chrisall said:

Which is safer? - to run an extension reel over the lawn when I want to mow the grass, or protect the cable in a plastic pipe and use an IP rated socket? Yes, plastic pipe is not 'proper' protection, but if I know that it's there I'm not going to stick the garden spade through it am I? (and the cable wouldn't be plugged in when not in use anyway). The problem with this part P bo**ocks is that everyone is caught up in the legalities of it and common sense has gone out of the window.

Chrisall.

Yup, common sense has been erased from the English Language now. I would have said running a suitably rated high visability extension lead across the lawn would be as safe run from one end as it is run from the other, will you not still need to run an extnesion etc from the garage? Burrying flex in plastic pipe is not a good idea, you might know where it is but always expect the unexpected, whats to say you don't go away for a while leaving this lead underground for the unexpecting person to find the hard way? As alternatives, have you considered buying a petrol mower?

How you going to take it out before you sell the house if you drop down dead in the near future?You have to remember good intentions cannot always be carried out so you are going to leave a potential problem for someone else.

The very reason part P was introduced is to stop people like you carrying out bodged wiring, which to you may seem safe but in reality is far from it.

You shouldn't be looking for ways to try and 'beat' part P. If you are carring out proper and safe electrical installations, then every single job without exception will comply with part P.

(Wether you choose to actually notify the LABC or not is another matter)

Personally, IMO If you are happy to run a bit of unprotected flex underground then you are not fit to be messing with something which you seem to have a very poor understanding of the dangers of.

im with you chrisbyrd :LOL:

all i can say is carry as we didnt ere of PART P, if we all do it safely and NOT put any lifes at risk, ie, follow the regs.
the hse will never take any person to court if they cant point blame!
as this has been seen in non corgi engineers

i think part p was a great idea for the home owners, if it wasnt just another money making exercise!!!!
if the home owners guide came in then i might join

alphaalarms said:
if we all do it safely and NOT put any lifes at risk, ie, follow the regs.

He isn't following the regs. If he did, great, he would also be complying with PP as well.

chrisall said:
Oh, the boot is so on the other foot. ;)

The problem with this part P bo**ocks is that everyone is caught up in the legalities of it and common sense has gone out of the window.
Hm. Yours certainly has.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back