Partial smoking ban

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can you have a partial ban? Either passive smoke is dangerous to health or it isn't. How can it be dangerous in a pub which serves food but not dangerous in a pub that doesn't? How did they ever justify that sort of stupid logic?

joe

Sponsored Links
I agree completely. I think that this partial ban idea came around because the govt is worried about alienating patrons of working men's clubs, who form a good proportion of their voters. As these clubs are not known for their culinary delights the partial ban must have made sense to someone who didn't really think it through. I think it's a ridiculous thing to suggest, as is having seperate sealed smoking rooms in pubs, which is another of the proposals.

joe-90 said:
How did they ever justify that sort of stupid logic?

Logic is a quality that Bliars government is severely lacking in..

It has to be either a total ban or none at all..not that they take any notice of public opinion (except when it suits), but most polls show a big majority in favour of the former. Is he listening?

joe-90 said:
How did they ever justify that sort of stupid logic?

Logic is a quality that Bliars government is severely lacking in..

It has to be either a total ban or none at all..not that they take any notice of public opinion (except when it suits), but most polls show a big majority in favour of the former. Is he listening?

Sponsored Links
I totally agree that a partial ban is absolute stupidity, but hey thats nothing new for this government is it.

If the government want to carry on down this route, how about getting the smokers to take out private health care policies to pay for their healthcare in later life, don't see why us non smoker should have to pay towards it.

nstreet said:
I totally agree that a partial ban is absolute stupidity, but hey thats nothing new for this government is it.

If the government want to carry on down this route, how about getting the smokers to take out private health care policies to pay for their healthcare in later life, don't see why us non smoker should have to pay towards it.

The cost of the premiums would leave no money for tobacco!

seems that pressure has now forced a 'free vote'..hopefully sense with prevail!

Never mind a partial ban, smoking should be outlawed immediately, and tobacco dealing should be treated the same as heroin and cocaine dealing. Tobacco screws you up you might say. Smokers are sad drug addicts who need help. Who could fail to feel sorry for these pathetic creatures huddled around fire escapes in the pouring rain getting their latest fix? To deny them treatment on the NHS would just be rubbing copious amounts of salt into their gaping wounds.

What an intolerant bunch of posters you are!

You don't get people smoking in a pub walking outside and bashing/scrapping as a consequence of their consumption. You don't get them jumping in their car, driving off and killing people on the highway. And providing there are some places that allow smoking and others that don't, there should be no problem for the anti smokers.

Of course, the anti smoking hoo-ha means that anti-smokers have a chance to bully smokers, and they do so to the full.

Nor am I a smoker - I gave up smoking in May 2005 and haven't touched it since.

Stoday said:
You don't get people smoking in a pub walking outside and bashing/scrapping as a consequence of their consumption. You don't get them jumping in their car, driving off and killing people on the highway. .
No, but you do get people smoking and then prematurely suffering a slow and painful death while their family watches on helplessly.

You also get people smoking and using up huge amounts of hospital resources as a result of smoking-related disease.

You also get people smoking and giving smoking-related diseases to people who live with them and work near them.

I regularly go to Wetherspoon pub meal and the smokers are always outside the doors entrance for the non-smoker to walk pass them to get in, can't win!

Should have a smoke-hut area to prevent this.

Keyplayer do you have to be so hard on smokers, you sad nonsmoker, its not as if smokers go out and rob people or burgle house's to get a hit of nicotine. does any body in your family smoke and if they do call them sad drug addicts, and mean it ?

mandiehun said:
Keyplayer do you have to be so hard on smokers, you sad nonsmoker, its not as if smokers go out and rob people or burgle house's to get a hit of nicotine. does any body in your family smoke and if they do call them sad drug addicts, and mean it ?

they may not rob or burgle but:

Passive smoking kills more than 11,000 a year in the UK - much higher than previously thought, a study shows.

The British Medical Journal study also gives a figure for people dying from second-hand smoke in the workplace - 600 a year - for the first time.

how many deaths occur at the hands of burglars or robbers?..if it was at this level, what do you think the comments would be about then?

Well they do
rob or burgle
to feed their habit, like any drug addict, if you can't afford it you have to get it any way you can BUT I'm not suggesting we demonise smokers, I'm married to one.

Sponsored Links
Back