Partially filling Wall Cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
looking to laminate the front room floor, we have patio doors at one end installed by the previous owner. in front of these is a block of wood over the cavity, then carpet. i want to put laminate right up to the patio doors is it safe to fill the cavity with self leveling concrete up to the level of the concrete floor that is under the carpet in the rest of the room?

Sponsored Links
Remoh1 said:
Hi all
looking to laminate the front room floor, we have patio doors at one end installed by the previous owner. in front of these is a block of wood over the cavity, then carpet. i want to put laminate right up to the patio doors is it safe to fill the cavity with self leveling concrete up to the level of the concrete floor that is under the carpet in the rest of the room?

has no one got an answer or a suggestion

Depends what damp proofing there is to stop the screed getting wet, if the screed's effectively going fill the gap between between the outer and inner skin there'd be nothing stopping the screed and consequently the inner skin from getting damp, if that happens your lovely new laminate may also get wet, de-laminate and get ruined. Can you post some photies?

1) Are your patio doors sitting entirely on the outer leaf of the cavity or are they central so as to overlap the cavity?
2) The doors will have a sill and possibly a sub sill. If it is one sill then it will be wood or UPVC which sheds the rainwater clear of the wall. If there are two sills then the first will shed onto a second, probably concrete sill, and that one sheds clear of the wall. Which do you have?
3) Is the DPC level of the floor the same as the DPC level of the cavity walls?
5) Are all your ground floors concrete?
6) How much above ground level is your floor level?

window2.gif

If the installation is correct then the door frame should cover the cavity in which case the inner edge of the sill should have bridged leaving only the top of the inner brick skin to be filled by you - similar to the diagram. It sounds like your door is not like this but is fitted on the outer leaf. It is not a good idea to fill the cavity but it should not be difficult to get around....Let me know what you have got.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I read your reply to the cavity problem, I have the same situation but my patio door is now internal due to new conservatory, I am presuming bridging the cavity will not be a problem due to it not being an outside wall. will ya let me have your thoughts please

all you need to do is make a 'trough' with dpm, and fill in with concrete or screed.

i had cavity wall insulation fitted 2 yrs ago in my semi.
can i also have it fitted in my (internal)"party wall" (is that the correct term?) so to reduce noise from neighbour`s house. i had them polystyrene beadings pumped into the other cavity`s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back