Partition walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone explain what solid blocking underneath a partition wall means and also what is meant by doubling up of timber joists. I want to be a bit more informed about what is best before I consult a builder to do this work.

Sponsored Links
What is the problem that you are wanting to get a builder sort out?

I think solid blocking refers to installing 'noggins' betweent the joists and 'doubling up' is fairly self explanatory, two joist placed right next to each other, sometimes they may be mechanically joined. (screwed or nailed)

I'm suspecting that this poster is either: looking to have a new wall built and is being told her floor won't support it, or: has an existing wall that she is being told is not suitably supported already.

Either way, my concern is that she is getting a bit of BS from a cowboy, looking to bump the price up.

So hard to say when you have such little information to go on, so I could be totally wrong.

Sponsored Links
It is a new wall I want to have built, I have been asked this question by my landlord. (My own surveyor doesn't seem to know the answer to this!!).

For an ordinary partition wall constructed from stud and plasterboard, your existing floor would normally be able to support the new structure. It is not uncommon to have breeze block walls laid directly onto wooden floorboards.

Is there some reason that you need something more substantial? (ie dividing the property into seperate flats, providing a pneumatic drill testing area ).

I'm just changing the layout of the property.

The joists run parrallel to the proposed wall, I was looking for an explanation of the terms so I can understand what I need to do to keep the landlord happy and inform the builder accordingly.

Don't know if it is relevant to know this but, about a metre away I am having a partition wall removed and a beam is going in to replace this.

Sounds like a typical situation for a stud and plasterboard wall. A wooden frame is made from something like 2x2 timber. This is then put into position and screwed to the ceiling, floor, and adjacent walls. Plasterboard is then put onto this framework (on both sides). A bit of jointing or plastering and jobs a good 'n.

No self respecting floor would have the slightest problem supporting this type of structure. No need for "solid blocking" or "doubling up of timber joists".

Sounds fine to me, but like I say my landlord is being very particular. So I expect he will want to see one or other method employed

If you get a reputable builder in to quote for the work, perhaps you could get him to specifically mention that these other measures are unnecessary and put it in writing. It's not a matter of being particular, it's just plain daft.

Would he have any objections to you putting a sofa on the floor without re-inforcement. I suspect not, nor should he. If the floor isn't up to holding this type of structure, it should be taped off, and the building evacuated while urgent repairs carried out to make it habbitable.

I understand that it is your landlord making these suggestions, but the man either knows nothing about building, or is deliberately putting obstacles in your way.

Probably a bit of both! My fault for buying a leasehold flat. But that's a subject for another forum.

housyhouse said:
what is meant by doubling up of timber joists.
Sometime we doubling timber joists under the floorbroads when we're using celcon blocks to take the weight of the walls but only if the joist run in the same direction of the wall. If it's going to be timber stud wall then there's no need.
Perhaps a drawing what you want done ? or how big is the room to be divided ?
I'm surpised the surveyor doesn't seem to know the answer to this and either your landlord know what he's talking about or doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back