Party wall Sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my neighbours are not the quietest of people - i want to 'sound proof' my bedroom as the only place i can put my bed is with the head against the party wall - and i hear everything going on next door
- I'm thinking of putting up some 2x2 or 3x3 battening with plasterboard/T&G and put 'something' in between to cut out the noise - would a roll of loft insulation do it? or something else??

Sponsored Links
Whats the construction of the seperating wall at the moment, (solid, blockwork cavity, timber frame etc), also is it more airborne sound or impact sound that you can hear? Or both?

its a cavity wall with only about 1" cavity (if that) - have drilled through from 'my side' to 'look'. the house is about 40 years old

the sound ranges from them using the loo (especially the men of the family!) , opening and shutting kitchen drawers to things such as their TV/stereo - last night i was laying in bed listening to the chart countdown on their radio then hearing the microwave mumur and 'ting' as they cooked something, then the men going to the loo - that was at 1am
Just want something to stop the loo/microwave sounds - but if it cuts out the radio/TV that would be great
:)

Sponsored Links
In reality sound is a nightmare to stop, so without spending a fortune and completely rebuilding your separating wall I doubt you'll ever eliminate 100% of the noise from your neighbours.
But there are steps you can take to help reduce it, you could use a product called Triline which is an insulated plasterboard from British Gypsum designed for sound insulating which can be applied with plaster dabs to your side of the wall although it may be beneficial to fit these to a rigid independant timber frame only fixed at the floor and ceiling and away from the existing wall. The perimeter edges should be sealed with tape or sealant.

Follow the link here:
http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.com/pdf/wb_drilyner_08_06.pdf and refer to page 221.

For further advice on installation you could try their technical department on 08705 456123 or email them at [email protected].

Let us know what you're going to do and how successful it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back