Patching render on 1930s bungalow - Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to make some repairs to the render of the external walls of my 1930's bungalow.

Repairs especially need to be made where double glazing was installed 3 years ago. I think the top coat is snowcrete(?) and the walls are concrete (with bits of flint and brick). I may be wrong about this though... so I need some advice on how to do this repair job including prep of the surface, what type of render to use... mix ratios etc. Does it make a difference if the walls have lime render or not? etc etc

I've included some shots so you can see it:

Sponsored Links
hi mate id hack off old render nd rerender it as its a small bitand if you try patching it youll see it all the time
imm in kent too maidstone i can pop over if you want and advice you as too what too do
as for snowcrete itd just white cement
if your looking for a whitish render
id use snowcrete /hydratedlime and plastering sand mix top
coat
and a nowcrete and plasterng sand with a dash of waterproofer scrach coat

Thanks for the speedy reply. What's the best way to remove the algae? Is it ok to pressure wash it off on a concrete wall... the wall won't absorb the water?

So clean surface, wet surface, scratch coat, top coat?

Next question: Can I then use masonry paint on it, or will that prevent it breathing?

Sponsored Links
Right, ok seems relatively straight forward. I'll have a crack at that then. Thanks guys.

has it been rendered on top of the rough casting? its hard to tell from the pics.

Nice holly by the way :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back