Patching thick plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently have installed electric undertile heating but unfortunately due to the chasing that was needed for sinking the spur boxes, cable etc. I am now left with about 1/2 mtr square of bare brick which now requires plastering.
Please can anyone provide advice on how to best patch back this area.

thanks

Jerry

Sponsored Links
Use a bonding plaster (carlite) to lay a thick coat . Then skim using multi finish.

Thanks Brist.
Will have a go - could you also advise me on what sort of mix strength would suit bearing in mind it's about 20mm.

Sponsored Links
Hardwall may be a better bet if the block work is sound; make sure you chip the edge of the original plaster so it gives a jagged edge to give a better key & don’t try & lay on 20mm in one hit as it will craze like hell & not stick properly. Build it up in 3 layers, each one applied as the first has gone off but not dried out. Use at least 2 coats of PVA on the bare block work, the second immediately before you plaster. Plaster it doesn’t have a ‘mix strength’ just a correct consistency, mix it too thin & it will end up all over the floor; mix it too thick it will go off too quick & not bond properly!

If the wall is not too big, I always prefer to fill the repair flush with the surrounding plaster, lay on some reinforcing tape all around the join (cracks tend to show again where the 2 meet) & then skim the whole wall; this will give you a perfect, level finish & no one will even know it’s been done. If not, leave the repaired area 2-3mm below the adjacent finish & skim over pulling the finishing plaster out beyond & over the original plaster to blend in (tricky); you may still be able to see the join though & there is the likelihood it will crack around the join in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back