Patio Doors - sill rotten and needs to be replaced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a rotten sill below my UPVC patio doors which are quite old now that lead into the garden. I would like to replace the sill as the wood is suffering from wet rot but will this entail having to remove the doors first which I dont think I am capable of doing by myself. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Without doubt, the doors should be removed. You could cut the sill out with them in-situ but would have a difficult job sliding the new cill in place, and fixing the bottom guide rail.
Removing the doors is simple enough, but there is a weight issue to consider.

First, you should determine the cause of the water ingress, and rectify it. Research youtube for info. videos.

Carefully note how you dismantle anything, and be aware of possible interior floor level/transition issues with a new sill.

How come you have a wooden cill on a upvc frame.this should have been removed when it was fitted.the idea of upvc is it doesnt rot. you can fit a new cill with the doors in place. first get yourself a upvc cill.make sure it is wide enough ie 150mm or 180mm etc. cut it to length.if need be remove the upstand with a hammer and chisel. remove some of the old cill from the centre below where the doors meet in the middle,get some blocks or a brick and support underneath.continue to remove the rest of the old cill as this will not sloop.once it is all removed check the gap between the frame and the brickwork and work out if you need any packers below the new cill. slide the new cill under one side first and then remove the support while sliding the new cill into place.pack up the cill where required and check cill is level and straight,check door operation.fill underneath with either foam fill and trim or cement.if you already have a upvc cill with the timber underneath you can remove this and pack and cement as before or foam and trim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back