Patio lighting wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a new patio at the moment and would like to include some walkover led lights. May also have some lights in the flowerbed walling to light a step.

Current plan is to get an electrician to install a weatherproof socket with a box to house the 12v transformer.
My query is how do I run the wires under the patio to each light? Are there rules for this? Should I bury then a certain dept in conduit? I assume I am allowed to do this as they are only 12v lights.
The patio slabs will be mortared down so lifting them in the future will be difficult.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Since its extra low voltage and the wiring will no doubt be protected by the slabs and mortar it won't be critical. Best place it in conduit and perhaps include a draw string/rope for future maintenance. :idea:

I'd bury it ten inches and run one circuit to each light from the power source though this will depend on what lights you're thinking of purchasing.
You can get an MK external socket with a built in RCD if you like for extra safety.

Chivers7 said:
You can get an MK external socket with a built in RCD if you like for extra safety
-it has been stated that an electrician will be putting in the outside socket so i doubt he will break such an obvious regulation as to not have it rcd protected. if it is rcd protected upstream then a second RCD will not make it safer, just an inconvenience and extra expense.

my personal view is outside circuits should be on their own rcd so when it trips it doesn't take the other sockets in the house with it -but its often a lot easier and cheaper to not do it like that, in which case i personally would have a double pole isolator inside so the outside socket can be isolated if it does get water in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back