Paving or concreting an area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I was considering paving a small area (boxed off by waverly fencing on three sides) - bascially paving slabs over sharp sand.
This area is roughly 6' by 6' square (though two sides are at an angle - trapezium???).
This is only going to be used for my ever expanding collection of refuse bins (I'd created a 'refuse area' thread in the gardening section) so will be virtually unseen bar the 4/5 recycle/refuse bins....sooo...might it be an easier job to pour concrete over this area or should I stick with sharp sand - paving slabs and stone cutter?? And if so, are there any tips/linkies out there to show me this menthod?

I've never done either before so I couldn't say which I'd personally find easier.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
well concreting is simpler in principle but involves either a mixer to make the concrete or back breaking work mixing by hand. Getting slabs flat and true is fiddly until you know what you are doing. Try pavingexpert.com for details of how to lay slabs.

I made a similar area from block paving, was proud of it, then got a letter saying we are getting another bin (making 4 in all). If only I had not layed a small wall around it, extending it would have benn so easy :(

Is it not possible to mix a bit of concrete at a time in, say, a wheelbarrow?
Currently doing just that for the base of concrete posts, but not sure if you can do this for a certain area...? I need to make sure it's at a slight angle for drainage purposes though this might be tricky in a boxed in area??

Indeed Wabbit...should be taking delivery of bin number 5 sometimes this week! I have enough for about 6 max then....who knows!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back