Paying by Visa.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

I am after a bit of advise regarding paying by visa and not getting the goods.

As you will know we were recently on our hols and couldn't go to Phuket, we had paid a deposit of £90 on the hotel room there by Visa. We were insured for travel with Europ-assist, but it is online only and I am uncertain if it covers this and can't speak to anyone in person to ask. They say E mail us, but it takes upto 2 weeks for a reply, which I don't like!

I am certain that I once read if you pay by Visa, you are buying off Visa, so you claim off them. Have any of you heard similar? or have I got it wrong.

I don't see the point of struggling with the insurance company if its alll down to Visa, what are your thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
I believe that there was a recent ruling that said that goods and services bought outside the UK were no longer covered by this.

If you buy within the UK then your contract is with the card provider. This used to apply to purchases made outside the UK but it wasn't clear if there was any mandatory reason. I think it was either contested in court by the card providers or the government to get a clarification.

Found something here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4114535.stm which is what I read originally. I notice that the limits quoted here are between £100 and £30,000 so your £90 would fall outside this. :cry:

It all looks a bit unclear at present. Good luck with trying to get it back anyway.

Thanks Ian.. interesting comments and link, funny how you always find out after the fact. I have also posted the query on moneysaving site to see their comments.

I know its not much but its better in my pocket than theirs! I am curious if this ruling is retrospective as we paid well before that date.

dont know the answer
but the way i read them
where the facilitys there for you to use if they where the onus is on you to use them
also was it a visa switch type transaction
or credit card transaction i think it makes quite a difference
good luck any way

Sponsored Links
Well my advice is this, hit them hard and quick, threaten, bully, and harrass, they (financial companies) generally give up.

Eddie M said:
Well my advice is this, hit them hard and quick, threaten, bully, and harrass, they (financial companies) generally give up.

Giz a lend of your car Eddie, or I'll tell everyone that you wet your pants in P.E. last week! ;)

Most cards offer insurance on all purchases over £50. Is that right????????

AdamW said:
Eddie M said:

Giz a lend of your car Eddie, or I'll tell everyone that you wet your pants in P.E. last week! ;)

Anytime, just fill it up with diesel :LOL:

Oh Adam!!

Now he's going to have to flush his fuel system, you total petrol-head!!

:LOL:

Don't most insurances (travel or credit card included?) have exclusions for acts of god?? Would this not fall into this category??

Sponsored Links
Back