Permanently on lights

MIM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all, and happy Easter!

I'm replacing a ceiling light with a new unit which came with instructions of the chocolate fireguard variety.

The light is the last one in the loop, so I only have two cables coming in - one from the previous light, one from the switch.

The lighting unit itself has four connector blocks - marked L, N and E and one 'empty'.

I have connected the two lives and the neutral from the switch to the 'L' block, the other neutral to the 'N' and the two earths to the 'E', and the light works. Problem is, it won't switch off.

The other problem I have is that the light unit itself does not have convenient blue and brown wires on the other side of the connector blocks. It appears to have a number of wires covered in a braided material, which go to the bulbs themselves (via what I can only describe as plastic nipples).

Based on suggestions I found on other threads, I've tried taking the red live wires and connecting them (individually) to the blank connector block, but this hasn't worked.

I'm loathed to dismantle the braided wires of the light unit, to try and figure out what is what, so I'm pretty desperate for suggestions (especially seeing as in my true style, I have managed to have my balls-up on a bank holiday weekend... :cry: .

Cheers

Iain

Sponsored Links
easy, im an electrician see this all the time.
if you have two reds and two blacks and two earth cables:-
two reds in spare terminal block
two earths in earth block
black from switch into L terminal
black from feed into N terminal
Job done

sorry should have explained the black cable from the switch is actually a switched live cable ( it becomes live when you turn on the switch ) you should realy identify it with red tape to show it is a live cable

Absolutely superb!

Many thanks (have an extra choccy egg!)

Thinking about it, it was obvious...

The two live wires go....as far away from the block marked 'live' as they can go... ;)

two reds in spare terminal block
two earths in earth block
black from switch into L terminal
black from feed into N terminal
Job done

This will work perfectly but isn't it more usual to put the two lives in the block marked L? Black from the switch and brown from the light then go in the 'spare' block. Hint: count the number of terminal holes in the blocks. If the spare has only two, where would you connect a live feed to the next light if this was not last in the line?

Sponsored Links
It is most common to see normal 'choc block' type terminal blocks. These have one terminal, and you can put as many cables as will fit.

The L on light fittings is for the Sw live for the lamps. The 'spare' terminal is called the 'loop' for looping the constant live between fittings.

The L on light fittings is for the Sw live for the lamps. The 'spare' terminal is called the 'loop' for looping the constant live between fittings

You've got me thinking now. I'll have to double check. Thanks for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back