permanently removing a socket leaving the wires intact

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove a double socket in my kitchen permanently in order to tile over. Its previously been fitted with a blanking plate thus it was unused anyway. I would like an all flush tile finish without without anything protruding. The socket has two live, two neutral, and of course two earth running into it. I think there is another socket being fed from this one. Most of the wall has been tiled over and there is no loft space, the cables run in one of those flat conduit, been plastered and tiled over. What is the best way to to remove the soket within regulations.

Sponsored Links
webbygeeza said:
I need to remove a double socket in my kitchen permanently in order to tile over. Its previously been fitted with a blanking plate thus it was unused anyway. I would like an all flush tile finish without without anything protruding. The socket has two live, two neutral, and of course two earth running into it. I think there is another socket being fed from this one. Most of the wall has been tiled over and there is no loft space, the cables run in one of those flat conduit, been plastered and tiled over. What is the best way to to remove the soket within regulations.

if you remove the blank plate, the cable is not in a certain area so unless its already in earthed steel conduit, the cable has to be removed.

thanks for your reply,
sorry i should have been more precised. The cable runs into socket A then continue down another 1 meter to socket B. If i want to remove socket A could I do so by removing the socket then join the cables, and tile over?

Thanks

webbygeeza said:
thanks for your reply,
sorry i should have been more precised. The cable runs into socket A then continue down another 1 meter to socket B. If i want to remove socket A could I do so by removing the socket then join the cables, and tile over?

Thanks

yes, but youll have to crimp them together

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
And make sure that the cables are run in safe zones
another socket is directly below, as already mentioned

So when A is removed, will the cable to B run in a straight vertical line from the ceiling?

Hi

Cable to B will certainly run vertically down from what used to be A and crimped, as previously advised. I can not tell however whether the cable that runs into A is all way from the ceiling without first removing the wall tiles and then the extraction flue. Due to the layout of the building, there is no way of getting into the loft space in the immediate area.

Thank you for all your replies much obliged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back