Personal door into garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have recently moved into a new house and have a detached double garage that came without a personal door. I am tired of opening the main double width door to fetch a beer from the fridge and am thinking of putting a personal door in the side of the garage.

The garage is single skinned with piers so I was thinking of using a 1200 mm steel (IG L10) or concrete lintel and a hardwood door and frame.

Do I need to consult building control and is there anything blindingly obvious that I have overlooked ?

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
It would be cheaper to buy a mini fridge for your beer. Apart from that, no :) make sure the door is at least 600mm from a corner. Concrete lintel will prob be cheaper.

concrete lintel maybe cheaper but an angle iron would look a whole lot better on the outside

To comply with regulations there must be a minimum 100mm step down into the garage.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't it still have to be a fire-resisting door too?

You will also need some good bolts on it, operated from the house side.

Garages are relatively easy to get into.

Ignore that - my mistake - it's a detached garage.

In that case, great - a strong wooden door with a good lock on it and no glass - then you can put bolts on the big door, and fasten them from the inside, to make it more difficult to break into.

jeds

why do you need to have the 100mm step down on a detached garage ???

Thanks for all your advice.

I think I'll go with the steel angle rather than concrete for the outside appearance.

There definitely won't be any glass in the door and as well as a good lock I'm going to fit security hinges or hinge bolts for the belt and braces approach.

Simon

NS215 said:
jeds

why do you need to have the 100mm step down on a detached garage ???

this reg applies to doors directly into the house
so i am assuming jeds read it as an adjoining garage ;)

Correct. My mistake. I'll just go away and learn to read now.

As its single skin you would probably be better selecting a single skin IG lintel. Its apperance is similar to a section of angle iron, but the greatest reason for using an IG/Catnic/ other manufactured lintel is that it has proven strength under certain conditions. The angle iron, may (if building control are involved) require adequacy calculations.

In my schemes i tend to use IG as they are readily available. Also as suggested you will need to allow a return of (not 600mm to wall) but you can get away with (without building regs dpt rrequesting calculations) 385mm or over.

p.s if you decide to use the angle iron, may i suggest you get it dip galvanised. if you dont, the exposed steel would rust and discolour rapidly and eventually heave and crack the surrounding brickwork. (don't panic would take several years before you noticed)

The distance from the corner of the garage will be about 900mm so on the advice given I should be ok.

I'm off to get an IG lintel today from the builder's merchants. I presume that they are galvanised and don't need treating :?:

Simon

paulpolly said:
p.s if you decide to use the angle iron, may i suggest you get it dip galvanised. if you dont, the exposed steel would rust and discolour rapidly and eventually heave and crack the surrounding brickwork. (don't panic would take several years before you noticed)

The IG L10 lintel is a single skin "L" shapped and is most likely to be adequate for a single door to a garage. I think youll find all IG lintels come hot dip galvanised unless requested otherwise

jeds said:
Correct. My mistake. I'll just go away and learn to read now.

i misread things all the time :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

mind you over the years less and less so i am obviously learning somthing :LOL: :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back