petrol smell but no leak??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parked my v reg Fiesta at work this morning everything fine, went to it at home time (4 oclock) very bad petrol smell before I even started the car. After driving for a while the smell went. However, after a few more miles it came back again. I have checked for leaks but so far nothing???? any ideas............corky.....

Sponsored Links
Had you just filled up and/or is your fuel filler overflow pipe blocked?
Has this happened before ? was there a steady increase in fuel smells?
You mentioned that while driving the smells returned, did you stop at that time and check ? Because if there was e.g. a leak from your carb any residue would evaporate due to engine heat by the time you got home.
I suggest that you check for any leaks under the bonnet before you start the car - assuming the smells are coming from that area.

Also have a look round the fuel tank, they go rusty, especially round the seams.

I agre with Softus though.

If you have a leaking tank, pipe, carb or pump, are you going to repair it yourself?

If not you might as well take it into your usual garage. If they are used to this model they have probably seen it before.

Sponsored Links
I travelled down the road a while, then stopped leaving the engine running. No obvious signs of a leak. Today I have not had any smell at all. When I fill her up I do tend to fill right up to the top, passed the cutting out point of the pump. I filled up on Sunday and the smell occurred on Monday afternoon after about 30miles of fuel used. I have always filled it right up. I will fill up again the weekend and see if it happens again.....cheers for your comments...corky :D

I've been having a similar problem for a while, there is a petrol smell coming through the air vents when the engine is running. mechanic has checked and said there is definitely not a leak, no petrol on the driveway but can't find the source of the problem. any ideas of what I should say to my mechanic next? thank you.

Leila said:
any ideas of what I should say to my mechanic next?
How about this: "I have petrol leaking from my car. Please would you find the leak and fix it?".

I have just had the same problem, driving and a strong smell of petrol.First if you have a carburettor and a manual fuel pump on your engine. It could be the fuel pump is playing up giving a rich mixture to your engine. I had a faulty fuel pump and loose clips on fuel line.Also check if your choke is not causing a rich mixture while driving.Any fuel line that goes over or through opening on the engine should be checked.Also cotton sleeve fuel if they are fitted replace them.Others cracked fuel fillter ( very rare ) But do check all fuel pipes and make sure they are tight.

Sponsored Links
Back