Peugeot 206 Diesel noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Peugeot 206 1.8 Diesel (2001)

I have had the car for 9 months. The following has only happened to me 3 times (twice were almost 6 months ago)

The car drives without any issues, but on 3 occasions whilst driving, the engine suddenly makes a really loud knocking noise. The noise comes from the engine and sounds like a tappet is loose.

All 3 times this noise happens whilst the engine has been running for about 15-20 minutes. If you turn the engine off and start the engine again, it stops and doesn't happen again??? It only makes the noise when you push on the accelerator. Almost sounds like the exhaust has come loose!

Any advise is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
without hearing it hard to say, but could it be diesel knock? do you get extra smoke when it happens ??? if so it means at that point excessive diesel is going in which would mean fuel problem, fuel pump, fuel injectors or ven fuel pressure regulator which is cheapest to replace.

Thanks for the reply al-yeti...

I haven't noticed any smoke coming out. It is due a 40k service next month so I am hopeful this may help???

It is frustrating as it doesn't happen often (although I am grateful as well :D ), but I am concerned that it may cause damage in the future.

I don't think it is diesel knock as it is much louder. It is very hard to describe but it sounds like something is rattling against a cog and your ear is very close to it!

Sponsored Links
My friends 206 diesel did exactly this. We traced it to the wiring to number 1 injector. Just where the wires plug onto the fuel injector, there was a break in the wire and it was running on 3 cylinders sometimes.
With the engine running, try pulling on/ moving the wires that go to each injector in turn to see if you can get it to start or stop doing the fault.

My next guess if this fails would be crank shaft position sensor.

Back