peugeot partner van,non starter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
self employed electrician,but unable to work today as my van will not start.its a 2000 reg van which ive had from new.
when you turn on the ignition the diesel heater lamp only lights for half a second then turns off.the engine turns but doesnt fire.the aa,have been out today,but cannot locate fault,i have tried a new cold start heater module,as my neighbour has an identical van,but the fault is still there.the dashboard diesel lamp normally lights for two or three seconds and then the engine would start.
im losing money with my van not working,so any help would be appreciated.
thanks gary.

Sponsored Links
What tests did the AA carry out? They presumably checked the glow plugs? And you've tried a new relay? (i think that's what you meant!). It's possible that your stop solenoid has failed in the closed position, though I'm not sure that this would change the glow plug light timing in the cab. If this is the case you might be able to temp. bodge it by removing the plunger and spring from the solenoid, but you would have to manually kill the engine afterwards.

check the feed to the glow plugs yourself with a multimeter,usually the lamp will extinguish but the power is still applied to the glowplugs, it sounds a bit more serious though

I have a mechanic,who ive used before,who actually came round tonight,and looked at engine outside,with a floodlight,theres dedication for you.
he thinks it may be a failed master fuse,as there is no live feed going into heater plug relay.when we supplied 12 volts directly to the glow plugs,it started fine.
Anyway he will look at it tommorrow in daylight,and hopefully have a better idea.
I will post if it gets remedied.

thanks gary.

Sponsored Links
He's probably spot on.
Pug's use some stupidly big (50 amp) fuses for stuff like this.
They're usually pretty close to the battery if that helps (are on older pug diesels anyway!)

Mechanic returned my partner van today,he finally traced fault to water in a multiplug which is im told is situated stuppidly close to the ground,in engine compartment.he seperated plug and socket,cleaned up contacts then cover whole assembly in vaseline.and now it seems fine.
He only asked for 40.00.but i doubled that as he spent 2 hrs on it yesterday,and at least three hrs on it today :D

thanks to you who replied,just thought id post fault found,so that anyone with similar fault,may find it of help.

thanks gary.

Great result! Nice one for for posting solution - so many don't bother, glad you got it sorted. (makes you wonder what the AA man's role is though. Suppose they make for good tow trucks)

I am surprised that neither you nor the AA man thought of applying 12 v directly to the glow plugs.

Since they take about 12 amps each they need a low impedance wiring and a massive fuse.

Such faults are quite common as a result of the high current taken.

Oxide coatings on the tags are also common. I clean them and cover with silicone grease when I reassemble. Also do same on starter motor tag.

Tony

Hi, I've read all the comments posted about the glowplug light switching off after 1 second. I've connected the positive from the battery direct to a glowplug - which gets me started straight away, not so practical when its dark though as I would be in trouble if I accidentally touched the engine housing !
I have changed the glowplugs, which were fine, and manually closed the solinoid lever , and it starts that way too.
Can someone tell me where the multiplug is so that I can check it, clean it and put some vaseline on it. Or could it just be the relay that is knackered. I'd rather check the multiplug first - wherever it is.

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Back