Phase and neutral (France)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, yes, obviously you need both L and N to make a circuit.
N was included in #20.
But early in the thread it was suggested that N had to be taken round the switches circuit .
Winston suggested a reason, for France (neons).
I queried it for the UK.
You asked where N was.
I showed you, in a schematic diagram that IS representative of the actual locations of the conductors.

"It doesn't have to come back if the light is at the far end." But in the circuit I have been asking about, the light is not at the far end.
So the Neutral doesn't have to go all over the place.

Thank you for your ... help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you are not in France as T & E is not used there.
What do you mean? What do they use instead?
The T&E supplied to me in France by a French supplier to be installed in France was most certainly twin and earth. Exactly the same thing happened in Germany and Spain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you mean? What do they use instead?
The T&E supplied to me in France by a French supplier to be installed in France was most certainly twin and earth. Exactly the same thing happened in Germany and Spain.
They use singles in gaine (conduit).

I don't know about Germany and Spain.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They use singles in gaine (conduit).

I don't know about Germany and Spain.
Yep

But the work I did in La Forestel in a 12 bedroom git was all round T&E packed out with cotton adding to existing similar T&E. When we ran out it was a 5 mile trip to the shop for more.

All the armour to outbuildings, swimming pool, outside lights etc was all red, blue, yellow which I assumed was UK spec but i don't actually know that.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UK twin and earth isn't used but the French use 3 core cable as well as singles. Earth's double insulated but it's 3 core cable. Singles are more common inside but cables are used.
And there's no requirement in the Normes to take a neutral to a light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the armour to outbuildings, swimming pool, outside lights etc was all red, blue, yellow which I assumed was UK spec but i don't actually know that.
That's designed for 3 phase.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep

But the work I did in La Forestel in a 12 bedroom git was all round T&E packed out with cotton adding to existing similar T&E. When we ran out it was a 5 mile trip to the shop for more.
That is not twin and earth which as I said is not used in France. It is three core cable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is not twin and earth which as I said is not used in France. It is three core cable.
There is a three core cable, with Brown, Blue and Green/yellow, in a mouse proof format.
It's round, not like UK T&E flat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No it definitely had a bare earth and the 'builders' were surprised when we added green/yellow sleeving as the existing was was left bare.

I had some left over and I'm sure used it back home somewhere.

Reaction score
Country
Austria
Only countries following UK wiring practices and Norway use T&E. All other European countries that I‘m aware of use 3-core with full-sized CPC. Some countries (Ireland, Poland) have flat cables, most use round. I‘m fairly sure bare reduced-site CPCs don‘t conform to NF.

Sponsored Links