Phone controlled alarms...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting a new alarm and one of the ones I've looked at calls you if it alarms and apparently can be set/unset/reset by telephone.

Just a couple of Q's...

1) Do they use your existing line or a standalone one?
2) Will it affect current telephone answer machine?
3) Will everybody who rings up get to speak to my alarm?

Just been bugging me...

Box

Sponsored Links
What system you looking at.

1.Should be able to use normal line(ADSL filter needed if bt bband).
2.On activation will dial out so no problem with answering machine, as for dial in to set not sure, depends on make/how many rings to answer.
3.Should have password protection.

why do you want to control it if you are not there to see why it went off?

seems a bit too gimicky for me

Just read your posting.
Go for the wireless alarms, the main panel is wired to a bt or equivalent suppliers lines but thats all, you can then use wireless pirs, we just installed a wireless alarm for a customer and the beauty of it was that the garage was away from the house but with wireless pirs it was still covered. In the menu you tell the system what numbers to phone in the event of being broken in to, you can also phone the unit up and arm or disarm if required, also of an evening you can arm and disarm certain parts of the property say arm kitchen and diner and disarm front room and hall.
Its a great way forward :D

Sponsored Links
XANTECH said:
Just read your posting.
Go for the wireless alarms, ..........................

...................Its a great way forward :D

you are taking the P.

(intentionaly or not you are) wireless is the way backwards, not forwards, of corse you think its grat as you have just installed one, it hasnt had a chance to go wrong yet, it will, but i doubt you will not come back and tell us when it does.

I never have taken the p, no it is not the first wireless sytem that we have installed, all you have to do is look at the American market and see how a lot of their products are operated hardwired or ir? If we think that wireless is a backward step, then I presume that you will be the last person to throw their hardwired computer cable in the bin! Whatever you may think wireless systems are here for good whether its accessing the web or controlling our alarms, its only when you install and setup the amount of wireless products that we do, you realise how cables may be a thing of the past for many things we use today. Its not that I am biased, but having installed the ADT systems myself, all I can say is that both systems can be problematic if installed and configured incorrectly :eek:

problems with wireless systems in general (not just alarms)

1: can't carry power, this is one of the biggest problems it means that all devices either need to be connected to the mains (which means you don't save much really) or have periodic battery replacements (annoying)
2: can be jammed either deliberately or by interference from other systems on the same band and unless the other person is going over the allowed power you have no ability to complain about inteference. Also i belive some unlicensed bands have licensed users as well who are allowed to transmit at much higher powers without giving a **** about interfering with your kit.
3: can be blocked by certain materials in the way.

wires are simple predictable and can carry both power and as much data as you could possiblly want. Wireless is at the mercy of the local radio environment and the local buliding materials.

all you have to do is look at the American market and see how a lot of their products are operated hardwired or ir?

IR ( infra red ) is the medium used to detect the movement in the area of the sensor. The wireless link alternative to hard wired is NOT via the medium of infra red.

As others have stated wireless systems can be jammed or falsely triggered other systems. They can also defeated to allow the premises to to be raided without the alarm being triggered by any of the wireless linked sensors.

Wireless is NOT the way forward in ALL applications. It is in many applications a sideways step and in some a definate backward step.

The application needs to be carefully considered before using wireless

We have opened up a can of worms, I agree that wireless systems can fail in certain circumstances but so do many hardwired products. It amazes me that people are inclined to look up on wireless systems as in some way retrograde. It may very well be that you were the last people to get rid of your hardwired remote control for your tv or video because you were uncertain of ir commands. I presume if you went back in to your Currys or Comet and the salesman offered you a hardwired remote with your new tv you would be the first to say what a retrograde move. If you look at the American market then wireless alarms are almost defacto. The ability to wireless control your appliances either lights or kettles by xl10 commands is thorougly tested. In the event of an ADT hardwired system being cut at its telephone point then it automatically detects this and wirelessly communicates :eek: with the control centre!

Like i said, you really are taking the P

XANTECH said:
In the event of an ADT hardwired system being cut at its telephone point then it automatically detects this and wirelessly communicates :eek: with the control centre!

dont work for ADT do you?

and also what you failed to mention is your statement is only true if:

You are a sales person

the customer has redcare gsm (which is to be scrapped)

paknet ( :LOL: ) That was a joke in itself

the "new one" i cant remember the name of

You are also twisting what i and others have said, we only pointed out that radio alarms are a sack of ####

People who say radio alarms are good are one of three types of people

salespeople, liars or ill informed

I am not a salesman, well at least not for ADT, but it is good news to hear that ADT have finally started installing their own brand of wireless products. Their alarms are approved by the Police and meet all current regulations. I have already said that the problem with any wireless system has been that if it is not installed correctly then problems will occur, but that is also true of alarm systems that are hardwired. The ADT units have always been a s=== and they were hardwired, TYCO as a group of companies do not put their reputation on the line along with BTs.
I can only presume that you have had a bad experiance with something wireless. :?:

XANTECH said:
We have opened up a can of worms, I agree that wireless systems can fail in certain circumstances but so do many hardwired products.

All equipment can fail.

The problem is when the intruder alarm equipment is defeated so as to not alarm when an intruder is moving around the building.

With hard wired systems the wiring has to altered to achieve this and a well designed installation will alarm before the wiring can be reached. It will alarm when the intruder enters the premises.

With a wireless connected system the system can be defeated from outside the building allowing the intruder to enter the premises without setting of the alarm.

I've had a wireless system for a few months now, no problems whatsoever. Garage and shed covered. Anti-jamming built-in. No conflicts with other wireless devices. Batteries supposed to last minimum of 4 years. (Hard wired battery backups don't last forever) Easy to check all devices "within range". Will let me know when a battery needs replacing.

I'm sure there are better systems. So be it.

Will let you know if I but burgled ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back