Phone Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!

We were fitting a new carpet last night and managed to put a screw through the telephone cable and now the phones are not working.

The main phone is connected to an old style BT socket and an extension cable runs from this to the upstairs phone. It is this extension cable that is damaged but neither phone is working and, as the extension is hard wired into the BT box, I am not sure how to repair/replace it.

Is it safe to work on the cable when it is still connected to the incoming line??? I have extended phone cables in the past but these have all been of the 'plug in' type where they can be disconnected from the supply while I work on them.

I am reluctant to pay BT to repair the damage if it is something I can sort out myself - particularly with xmas coming up money is a bit tight to say the least!!!

Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Davey said:
Is it safe to work on the cable when it is still connected to the incoming line???
Yes ,it's okay as they have a very low voltage current.You either replace the whole cable or join it with a phone junction box.

See this to help you with the wiring.

Thanks Masona - looks like I am going to be busy tonight!!!

Sponsored Links
all though it is "safe" it can "hurt a bit" if you touch two live wires at the same time. personally i would run a whole new cable. which you can get "off the shelf" at maplin. the website reference is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back